www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How's the Summer been up Nort?

Default How's the Summer been up Nort?

How about posting some pictures for us guys stuck down here in the South, Chad?

Did a little bass fishing today. Water temps have fallen as much as 10 degrees in the last few days. Still around 81 to 83 on the surface before Noon. No doubt it was actually warmer below the surface temps. Didn't stop the two boats out today muskie fishing. I'm not sure how one could successfuly release a fish in today's conditions, but unfortunately it isn't against the law, so what's one to do. I just hope they didn't catch anything. My itch is getting bad too, but you can bet on the fact that we've still got a while of warm water.

While it isn't illegal to fish muskies during the summer, allow me to vent a little bit on what is illegal. Running your large rig & motor on plane through Johnson Creek. My goodness it's been an every outing sort of thing this year. Two boats might as well have been towing skiers today as they flew around. Haven't had much rain all summer, algea bloom is nothing to speak of at all; yet dingy water due to all the out of control boat traffic that doesn't understand what "No Wake" means. Some of them, perhaps are just ignorant. Others immediately slow down when they discover you at the back of a cove as they go speeding by. Anyway...just my whine.

Well, the point of the thread was to inspire a report from the North Country. What you say, Chad, show us a couple of giants?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye9 View Post
    How about posting some pictures for us guys stuck down here in the South, Chad?

Did a little bass fishing today. Water temps have fallen as much as 10 degrees in the last few days. Still around 81 to 83 on the surface before Noon. No doubt it was actually warmer below the surface temps. Didn't stop the two boats out today muskie fishing. I'm not sure how one could successfuly release a fish in today's conditions, but unfortunately it isn't against the law, so what's one to do. I just hope they didn't catch anything. My itch is getting bad too, but you can bet on the fact that we've still got a while of warm water.

While it isn't illegal to fish muskies during the summer, allow me to vent a little bit on what is illegal. Running your large rig & motor on plane through Johnson Creek. My goodness it's been an every outing sort of thing this year. Two boats might as well have been towing skiers today as they flew around. Haven't had much rain all summer, algea bloom is nothing to speak of at all; yet dingy water due to all the out of control boat traffic that doesn't understand what "No Wake" means. Some of them, perhaps are just ignorant. Others immediately slow down when they discover you at the back of a cove as they go speeding by. Anyway...just my whine.

Well, the point of the thread was to inspire a report from the North Country. What you say, Chad, show us a couple of giants?

Can't wait until the wake board boats are off the water. I have also seen plenty of VERY large boats running just off plane through the no wake water. I can't wait for fall.

I wish I could, but I don't have a computer up here this summer. Have to go to the public library in Walker to get on the internet. I will post some pics when I get back down south in early October. Fishing has been pretty good. Client got a chunky 48.75" yesterday on Leech, and we are headed out for a night trip on a smaller lake around here tonight.

Bummer to hear that some guys are muskie fishing on Kinkaid. Were they trolling or casting? Education is the way to go on that one. No reason to ever muskie fish on Kinkaid in July or August!!! Mortality is so high in those kind of water temps. When I took my daughter crappie fishing a few times in early July we had 91 degree surface temps.
    Chad Cain Guide Service
    Chad Cain

Web Site: http://www.chadcain.com

Yeah education is surely key, but I'm afraid these guys "knew" better. They were trolling. Kinda funny....as they were going over the log pile in the middle of the bay entering the northern no wake section one of the guys made a healthy set with his rod. My 8 year old grandson even giggled and said, "I think he just caught a nice big snag." I kinda hoped to myself that he lost his lure.

Water temps haven't been quite as high as last summer, but we've definitely seen mid 90's. The crappie guys have been doing well all summer long. Bass fishing has been great as usual. Can't wait to see the temps start dropping more and more. I'm expecting some more serious heat, but so far things are remaining pretty mild. If things continue along this course the end of September will probably bring acceptable temps. Again, while the surface has been creeping closer to 80, just taking a bit of a swim reminds you that it has actually been warmer just a foot or two below the surface. Get down deeper and it cools, but still way to warm to be chasing muskies.

Anyway, glad to hear you are having a productive summer and we'll looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get back. Take care and nail a few more pigs!