www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Leader ???

Default Leader ???

I was wondering what kind of leaders do you guys use ? Not so much brand but if you use steel, black or silver or i know some of you are using 50 to 80lb test so do you need a steel leader with that many pounds of mono or braided line ? How long of a leader do you usually use also ?

Yes Yes Yes you still need a steel leader or leader of some type.

The lovely ones that you can buy at Walmart/K-mart are not heavy enough to fish for muskie with. Most brands there are 30 pound steel test with crimps that will open up.

The deal with the braided line is to use the same pound test diameter that you would use fishing with mono. #80 pound braided line is around 17-18 pound test mono diameter. Smaller pound test is so thin that it will cut into your spool of line while your drag is being pulled out and lock down into the wraps and you'll have no drag. Also a heavy muskie lure will snap off anything less than #65 pound braid just with the wear and tear of casting a few short hours. Backlash a heavy lure by casting hard into the wind I've seen #80 braid crack like a bull whip sending your 20-30 dollar lures into the next county.
    Muskies can still cut right through #80 braid like nothing!

You can purchase your own leaders or learn to build your own which is nice to make what fits your needs.
    For example I make my own flourocarbon leaders the length of my rods and when I tie my swivel I leave a long tag end that also works as a weed/grass catch to help with keeping my lures running clean longer.
    Like mentioned in a previous post on weighting your jerkbait leaders there is so much you can do by making your own, plus it's cheaper once you have all the supplies. Plus it's fun doing it yourself.

Flourocarbon I wouldn't go anything less than #80 pound.
    I like the #90 for smaller baits and #130 for fall trolling and bottom grinding super big baits.
    Solid steel jerkbait leader I made was 175 pound test I think?
    I haven't made any strained steel leaders so I'll let someone else comment on them.

Yes you need a leader......... always!

I guess I didn't answer all you asked.

I like my casting leaders 12-20" long and I run flourocarbon. If I had to run steel I would sooner run a black one. Trolling I like them the lenght of the rod down to the beginning of the butt where the little hook clip is.

I really like the flouro, they seem to last the longest.

I like fluro also. 80# 10-12". You can get them at Gander or Cabelas or online. One caution with all leaders- the clasp can weaken and snap from opening it and closing it too much when changing lures.

Thx for the info and tips guys !!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    I like fluro also. 80# 10-12". You can get them at Gander or Cabelas or online. One caution with all leaders- the clasp can weaken and snap from opening it and closing it too much when changing lures.
    Don't fool around with the weakest points (leader and knots) between you and your fish of a lifetime. Buy leaders from Stealth Tackle. They are #1 in the Industry IMO! When your clasp starts to open and close pretty easy, its time for a new one. I bought a bag of clasps and as long as the fluorocarbon is in good shape I just replace them when they get weak.

Brian

I'll 2nd the stealth leaders. You pay for them but they are imo the best and hold up well. Stay loks snaps are easily replaced and inexpensive and have yet to ever fail me.

I had a discount coupon for money off and bought some Joe Bucher premium 7 strand leaders. After getting home and taking a closer look at the knot tie I was not to impressed. I am going to return them for Stealth.