www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The story of my net.

Default The story of my net.

This may be a little corny but i worked very hard at this. I figured i would show this to the people that could relate to the need of a good net.

It all started out a year and a half ago, i went to am auction in the earlie spring of 08 lookin at a boat to see if i wanted to bid on it. they had a pile of fishing gear. In the pile was a great big landing net, it was an older cummin's net. With the blue bag with about 2inch square holes. So i bid on it till i won the gem for the high cost of 7$.

She was quite a buy retractable handle about 36 inch hoop. I was in hog heaven. I did not like the bag, so i got in touch with my sister who has a degree in fashion. So we made a new bag for it. We went to joann;s and got the best netting they had, it was about 1/4 inch holes. It sure helped the fish out by not getting hurt but made it terrible to get hook out of. You could not scoop with it, because it was a parachute. So you would scoop and once the bag opened all the way it was a slam dunk to lead the fish in. (honestly it helped out because it kept the netter from trying to force the fish in they just sat there till you put the fish in, they just needed to lift) I put up with that for well over a year until i could find the right netting to replace that bag.

After searching for a long time i finally got a place that has what i was lookin for. Knotless netting about 1 inch squares. Perfect i bought more than enough, well two weeks later i get this 2 inch sq. knoted nylon stuff that was the exact same as the first bag on the net. rrrrrrrrr

So after i fought with this company to exchange it, i sent it back. Well what they failed to infom me was they no longer have that netting..... but they have another kind. (why they did not call me when they got my order to ask me what i wanted to do is beyond me) so two more weeks go by and i get a sample in the mail. A little stiffer than i want but other wise it is perfect. Another week goes by i get my package of lots of netting.

Mean while my brain was thinking if i get new netting why not make my net fold in half, i have a small 14 foot boat and the net took up alot of room. So i thought of differnt hinges and yokes.... I finally settled on one and went ahead and made it. I went all out teflon washers, nylon bushings. Except for the handle of the net, and the tubing part of the hoop i made everything, no plans just me and alot of free time. Also my sister sewed up the bag, which looks amazing.

here it is folded

Opened

Close up on the yoke, note the pin. It is used to disengage the locking pin on the hinged.

The hinge closed

Right now i am working on different kinds, more simplier mechinisms for the locking part of the folding net. But i will live with this one for the time being

Only can post four pics per post, so here is some more

Hinge open

Locking pin is spring loaded connected to the pin on the yoke via a cable in the hoop tube.

She still is not done, some tweeks hear and there. Right she is about 95% ready to go. Thanks for reading to story of my net.

If it works half as good as it looks, you've got a winner!

I love to read about tinkering. You'll definitely get a lot of satisfaction out of something homemade... especially if it works!

Good Job!

It looks awesome. I have a Stowmaster and love it!!!
    Same idea,what you got there looks nice and sturdy too. Nice job.

I've actually bought 2 stowmasters now, one is at the bottom of Chaut. Lake.
    You know, if it wasn't for the wife being the reason that it is at the bottom of the lake she probably wouldn't of let me order another.

I wouldn't own anything but.

Nice fab job! Is there plastic in any of the joints?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I too have a Stowmaster. When I saw these photos, I thought - "this looks like a Stowmaster, but perhaps lighter?" Darn good net.

Toothyfisherman: wondering...........your wife is not IN that net at the bottom of the lake, is she?

Quote Originally Posted by PAmusky View Post
    Nice fab job! Is there plastic in any of the joints?
    Yes, for the washers in the joints they are teflon, and the bushings are 6/6 nylon.

It appears that once the net is open the locking pin keeps it in place?

The Stowmasters are similar except (as mentoned) they are quite heavy. Wihtout a partner the Stowmasters are quite hard to open by yourself if you get a fish on. If I'm in the boat by myself (to use it) I must open the hoop in advance and place the net forward in the boat. Of course, with two guys - no problem.

It appears that your lighter net can be kept folded until needed and you could easily open it by yourself with one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiekid View Post
    It appears that once the net is open the locking pin keeps it in place?

The Stowmasters are similar except (as mentoned) they are quite heavy. Wihtout a partner the Stowmasters are quite hard to open by yourself if you get a fish on. If I'm in the boat by myself (to use it) I must open the hoop in advance and place the net forward in the boat. Of course, with two guys - no problem.

It appears that your lighter net can be kept folded until needed and you could easily open it by yourself with one hand?
    Yes I can open it one handed, i am not sure if i grabbed someone off the street and told them to do it they could. There is alittle bit of a learning curve but once a person does it once or twice they have the hang of it.

Yes that pin when the net is folded sticks out, as the nets opens the other side of the joint pushes the pin in until it is fully open. By this time the hole from the other side lines up with the pin and the pin springs back out to full extension. Locking the net open.

The Stowmaster has a little bit of a learning curve to it too

It is worth it while fishing out of a smaller boat. The fish just don't seem to get tangled in the netting either which is really nice.

I'd be proud of what you built there. I'm sure it was much cheaper than a Stowmaster. They sell a bag for the net that is nice, wonder if your net will fit in one of their bags?