www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Sheephead (Drum)

Default Sheephead (Drum)

Has anyone ever tried cooking up some Sheephead??? I'm told that it is not bad eating.

Luke
    My job used to get in the way of my personal life, but not anymore.

Hey Luke;
    I have a friend over on "The River" that says they are great eating filleted and fried when the water is cold. He say's he would eat these over walleye any day. Well I am not buying that. The saying goes: All fishermen are liars, exept you and me, and I'm not so sure about you! I have smoked them and they are great. They do have lots of bones, like most rough fish do. I do know they are fun to catch. When Kay and I were fishing tournaments way back when, we caught some in the 20 pound range on Big Stone Lake on the Minnesota/South Dakota border. They have Sheephead tournaments on Winnebago and 30 pounders have been caught.
    If you try them, let us know how it is.

Keep a tight line!!!

Jerry
    Angler's Pride Guide Service
    Jerry Tipping

Web Site: http://www.anglerspride.com

Well, Jerry,

I think the water is getting colder now, and since I've had to store my boat, I guess it is up to you now to try one of those sheepshead. I'm sure everyone on the board would be quite interested in hearing about your cullinary skills with Sheepshead. I myself will have to wait until next year to try one, but in the meantime, I'll be waiting to see what recipes you find are best for sheepshead. :-)

In fact, I think everyone should try them and weigh in with their favorite sheephead recipe.

Luke :-)
    My job used to get in the way of my personal life, but not anymore.