www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report for May 22

Default Fishing Report for May 22

Last night I trolled out on LCO for a couple of hours in the evening, got one walleye and one pike, both on lead core with 50 feet of line out past the lead core, I ran three color lead color. both came on Reef Runner Ripsticks. the bait should have been running around 20-24 feet if I figured it out right. The walleye was in about 30 feet of water, and was about 25-26 inches. the pike was in the same kind of water and was about 30 inches.

On a side note, they killed off the weeds in Musky Bay and they are floating around all over LCO from ring bars to musky bay is unfishable. There are weed mats the size of my boat every 30 feet, makes trolling impossible. don't want to imagine if the wind kicked up and pushed all the weeds out of the bay. Musky bay has lost over half its weeds, a lot of bare spots in the bay, and the poison killed alot more than just pondweed, a lot of cabbage, and coontail floating out there, and they smell really bad, like chemicals. I really think this is a bad thing for LCO, and am really thinking about eating and fish out of there now.

On another note, Trolling on the Chippewa Flowage got voted down, so there won't be any trolling out there. I feel this is a real set back for fishing in the Hayward area, and Wisconsin really. too many people that fear change, not realizing it would be a good thing for fishing in the area. Also the flowage will be open for ice fishing for everything except walleye, musky, and sturgeon. and the daily limit on all panfish including crappie will be 25 now, from the first saturday in may till the first saturday in march.

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes
    Captain Tanner Wildes Guide Service
    Tanner Wildes
    Web Site: http://www.tannerwildes.com

Default Musky bay

Tanner, I fished the bay last week. What did they do to get the coditions you are describing??

I was told they put the chemical in last week, wednesday I think. the chemical was supposed to only kill the pondweed, but it didn't, if you go through musky bay now, there are a lot of bare spots that don't have any weeds in there now. the property owners raised the money and hired someone to dispence the chemicals out there. I personally feel it was unnecessary, and feel it has really disrupted the lake now.

Tanner Wildes
    Tanner Wildes

Captain T,
    Last year was a similar situation......smelly dead weeds floating all along the west shoreline into Stuckey Bay.
    It smelled like turn over was going on......not very pleasant.

What kind of water temps did you have out there?

yeah this is everywhere from musky bay to ring bars, and that was with no wind. Water temps are in the upper 60's to low 70's.

Tanner Wildes
    Tanner Wildes

Thanks for the info, Tanner
    I will be up there on Friday until 6/6
    I'll give you a shout and hopefully we can hook up for a few beers
    Most likely be watching the Hawks game at Anglers on Saturday evening.
    How are you set on leaders?