www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Which Reel?

Default Which Reel?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new everyday casting reel to use this summer. I like to cast cranks, rubber and jerk baits. I narrowed it down to the Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60HS or the St. Croix AC300A. Has anyone used either of these reels and what are the differences? Do you know a better reel? I have several rods and reels, but this will be on my "go to" rod.

Jason

I have been using the 300A for several years and have read tons about the Garcia as well. I bought the basically the same reel last Fall but mine is the Winch which is geared for pulling baits with tons of drag.

There are so many factors to talk about concerning this that you might want to hold the Garcia in your hand for a test drive. Big hands, small hands? Palm the reel or hold the foregrip the rod? The 300A has a mid-range gear ratio as compared to the Garcia which is faster.. The Garcia is going to pick up the slack quicker than the 300 coming in handy when throwing jerk/glide baits.

There are many things we need to know before we can recommend either.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 03-18-2010 at 07:07 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I palm the real and have average to above average hands. I like the speed of my current C4 reels, especially when working jerkbaits faster and deeper. That has me leaning to the Revo, but the C4 line guide and gears have failed repeatedly. I have had to order parts several times from Abu Garcia. I guess a better question would be is the AC300 more reliable? Has it held up better, to the abuse of musky fishing, than the Abu Garcia? Or is musky fishing just that tough on all equipment?

your c4 has a 6.3:1 gear ratio which is fast. I think the faster the reel the quicker it has damage from musky lures with lots of pull. I always look for reels w/5.5:1 or less. I've been using a c3(5.3:1) with the power handle for the past two years and have been OK so far. For double 10 blades and the like I have an abu 7000i "big red". It has a 4.1:1 gear ratio that can pull must anything.

The 300A will fail at some point just like all freshwater musky reels will over time. There are ways to extend the life of your reel but that can be an entire thread of its' own. Many guys are beefiing up their artillery by going to saltwater reels in hopes of increasing longevity.

Musky fishing (coupled with larger baits, braided lines, increased torque and cranked down drags) is especially tough on the anti-reverse component. Blowing up reels is part of the musky game for sure.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 05-14-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

The Revo Toro 61HS has been outstanding so far. I love it and recommend it for those times when you need to pick up more slack between twitches or rips. Great for pulling jerks/glides/twitchbaits with the current.

It also has helped me work certain baits cuz I can lay my thumb on top of the spool (61 is a low profile reel) much easier and use the thumb pressure for working the rod downward with less forearm/wrist effort.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I agree 100% the Revo is awesome so far. If you need to work a Leo curly tail this is the reel to use.