www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: info on why my motor won't piss out water

Default info on why my motor won't piss out water

Does anyone know or has had a problem when you start your motor it will not shoot out water out of the little hose at the back of the engine. I have a 1990 50 HP Johnson. Had it for 7 years and every spring it fires up no problem and runs great. Today it is not shooting water after 30 seconds of running it. impeller , water pump ? I don't know. I blew thru the hose and bubbles came up out of the screen where it would suck water. Anyone, Anyone? Further more. I live in pittsburgh. Anyone know of a marine shop I could take it to? Thanks

By the sounds of it bad water pump (impeller). You say you blew in to the hose and got bubbles, so that clears up if anything was plugging it up. Did you check it again after blowing in it?

Was the motor in a tank or body of water? Was the motor in far enough?

Ok like i said earlier from what you have said i would say water pump. Those are cheap. If you are handy, and own tools go and buy the maintance manual and you can put on in yourself. The pumps are not expensive and the manual is around 30$ It could save you alot in the long run.

After I blew thru the hose and I saw bubbles, I tried to start it again for 10 seconds then shut it off because no water pissing out. The motor was in a deep 55 gallon drum, so plenty deep. i guess i need to replace something. Impeller or water pump. I have the book for the engine. Maybe I will try it myself to replace them. Unless, anyone in the Pittsburgh area wants to make a hundred bucks? Changing it for me? Anyone, Anyone? I could always throw in a legend plow for the effort.

Definately sounds like your impeller. The terms water pump and impeller are the same thing. I had to replace my impeller in my Honda kicker first time out last yr. It is a rubber/plastic paddle wheel type object that forces the water through your motor. It usually will dry rot over time. Mine actually melted a little last yr from running it a very short period of time with no water pumping through. Small, inexpensive part, but not sure how much work is involved in replacing it. That will probably depend on the individual make and modle of motor.

Default motor wont piss

make sure that the outlet on the motor housing isnt plugged with mud from a mud wasp. its the part that the hose hooks onto right where the water comes out. take a paper clip or something to probe the hole to make sure its clear.
    zeeman

Default Fixed Yet?

Matt, Did you get the impeller changed yet? I could help you change it out on Sunday April 4th the day after Howard Wagners Spring Fling on Apri 3rd,I'm not far from your place then.I can't get to it earlier because I have the show in Chicago this coming weekend.Let me know if you need my help later,say hello to Capt. Sharon!

Capt. Larry
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

I found a guy that will change it for $60.00 an hour labor rate. He said it will take 40 - 45 minutes. I should have the parts on friday. A few other guys have taken their motors to him and said he is pretty good. Only a 1/2 hour drive away. He is going to let me watch him also. Bonus, I get to see how its done. Thanks for offering capt. Larry. Also, Andy for the help too. Got to get it up and running, crappie season is here for a month then muskies rest of the year. Thanks everyone.

fish N ski,

If you don't mind me asking, who did you find to work on your motor? Is it anywhere near Pittsburgh? My brother needs some work done on his and is not sure where to take it. Thanks for any info.

Jay

Guys name is Doug. it is called Margetics. The G is pronounced like a J. He is in New Brigton. $60.00 an hour labor. He does other engines other than marine. I don't think he does any big outboards. 200 - 250 hp , but I am not sure. Mine is only a 50 hp. A few guys from work took their 9.9's and 40 hp to him and he got them running for them and it was pretty good priced.
    He does get busy with peoples big river boats they say. His number is 724-846-7638. Let me know if you need any other info. I am waiting for my parts to come in before I take my boat to him. I already ordered the parts before I contacted this guy when I was going to try to do the work myself.