www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Leader Survey

Default Fishing Leader Survey

I was curious, how many guys use steel leaders or flourocarbon.
    And do you buy them or make your own?
    Do you tie them or crimp them?

I've been making my own flourocarbon for about 5 years in casting and trolling lenghts. I love them and they sure seem to last a long time. I tie all of mine, haven't tried the crimps.

I just started making my own jerkbait leaders with solid wire but really don't need too many of those.

What is everyone else doing?

Tied fluorocarbon with no crimps......no product failures at all. I use 200# for jerkbait leaders and rarely have the bait 'climb-up' the leader.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Tie my own flourocarbon, 130lb and 80lb test. I also use steel leaders for both casting and trolling.

I make my own fluro, knotted and crimped. I am just a little untrusting in just one method of tieing.

I also make my own wire leader for jerk baits. I use type 316 ss tig welding wire .035 dia., i just take them from work (i ask first). I also make my bucktail shafts with our .062 ss tig wire.

I tie my own fluorocarbon leaders using a nailknot, crimp them, then glue the knot. I make trolling leaders with 150lb and casting leaders with 150lb and 200lb for jerkbaits. The leaders really last a long time and take a lot of punishment.

I tie my own fluorocarbon leaders (Seaguar) 130 lb with canoe knots, super glued. The stuff ain't cheap but they take a lot of abuse.

This may be a dumb question but do you guys have a barrel swivel attached to the stay-lok? I had been tying directly to the swivel with no barrel and some baits seemed to lack action......that's probably what it is.

Your 130# will be too thick for some shallow running baits. Pairing the right bait with the correct pound test is very important. You will have to downsize to 100# or even 80# for smaller/shallower running stuff. If you are not already, try using a wide gap snap to allow the bait to "dance" inside the snap. Some guys do not trust a split ring on their baits so be sure to have a equal/higher pound test ring than the rest of your rig.

I tie directly to the swivel (on the rod end) and snap directly to the bait with Stringease or Roscoe snaps....one swivel will be fine. The Stringease 200# snaps are great with smaller baits and 80 to 100# leader material.

Is this what you were curious about??
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-15-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I've been making my own Floro leaders for a few years now. Some tied, some crimped. Mainly use 150lb Triple Fish, but use 80lb for smaller stuff.

Tony

Red,

Thanks for the info, as always I learn a few new things. Is the 130 too thick for gliders such as the manta? (I can't seem to get a consistent side to side with it) - it may be my rod also

I was curious about whether or not it is common to attach a barrel swivel onto the snap so the bait could have more movement or just tie the fluorocarbon directly to the snap?

I currenly use Stringease and they seem to last a long time, great idea on using a wider gap snap...I will try that.

The 130 is not too thick. I use 200# for my jerks/gliders and things work fine. The jerks/glides are much less effected by larger diameter fluoro than your cranks (most notably the lighter, shallower running twitchbaits). IMO, there is no need to put a swivel on the snap...just be sure to have a high quality swivel on the line end.

Hope this helps.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Not to side track this post, but i had a chance to test my leader out last night. I use 100lb tripple fish, #6 Cross lock snaps, 100lbs bearing swivle, tied with cable knots and crimped, I got hung up on a stump and could not get close enought to free it. I found a stick to wrap the linearound and i pulled and pulled hopeing the hook would give way but nope snapped 65 lb power pro about a foot in front of my stick that i wrapped the line around. I am kinda bummed about losing the bait but kinda glad i know my line is the weak link. Thought i would share since it was on the topic of leaders

I just went to fluro leaders last year for musky, never liked the price. Used fluro for steelhead for close to 10 years now and wouldn't think of using anything else with the pressure the ohio pa and new york see in an average day. I've been using stealths and thorne bros 80 100 130 and 200 mainly casting. Won a small spool of 100lb gamma and gonna try my hands at tying up some leaders for next season, planning on knotting and crimping until i earn some trust in my knots