Glad to know that others are concerned with the changing LOTW’s. I would agree that the pressure is an issue however know low pressure spots still seem to show the same trends. I am by no means an expert but it would appear that a definite environmental change is taking place. Obviously the biggest change is weed cover. I remember the days back just 10 years ago of multiple big fish relating to small weedy bays that are sand now. You could raise those fish every day until either caught or hooked. Those spots still hold an occasional fish and are worth fishing, but even the last few years has shown a decline in opportunities.
I think with the reduction in weeds most educated LOTW muskie hunters have targeted warmer time periods when the rock bite is in full swing. It doesn’t take a genius to determine prime rock structure and thus leads to more pressure on primary and secondary spots. The weeds provided more cover and security for big fish but also spread the pressure. I think we all had many less than obvious weed pockets or shorelines that were real sleepers over the years that are now barren of weeds and no longer hold fish.
Like Phil said another issue I see is water quality improving over the last 5 years. The years where it might take several days for the water to clean up after a down pour or days of wind are rare. I see fish turning off half way to the boat more often than not. One good thing is many secondary structures are exposed and spots gain more of your attention, but on the flip side structures you learned over many years are now exposed to new fishermen on their first pass. Second observation is how fat the average fish is now compared with fish caught 5 years ago. On average fish are not missing any meals and almost seem less aggressive when it comes to chasing down baits including topwater!! I made adjustments reluctantly the last several summers to treating these fish like it’s fall. Slow down and find a bait that hangs in their face long enough to entice a strike.
Gone are the easy days of casting a bucktail and topwater all day….well almost anyway. )
IMO these fish are becoming more open water roamers, We always had the fleet fish and shallow water fish but I think more fish are being pressured off structure. I think in the years to come we will have to work for our fish off breaks lines like the rest or the world. God I hope not!