Found the article I had written on follows and returns.Written in 1999,published in EA in the Aug/Sept 2000 issue.Guess there’s a way to scan and post but that’s way beyond me so for what it’s worth I’ll briefly summarize it.(my views have changed slightly but not significantly-all opinions anyway).

First I addressed the issue of do you throw back right after the follow?Of course,you found a biggie,why walk away.If ‘hot’ I throw right away with the same lure.If ‘lukewarm’,consider switching baits and/or angle and going with ‘speed’ as a trigger.Maybe burn a bucktail.If low and slow,consider a deeper twitch or jerk that will hang in it’s face between moves.(note some guys just park on the fish,I don’t,never seen it work,but some do with success.I guess.)

OK,didn’t score so when do I return?Basically it depends on fishing pressure and the fishes mood.If people are around,go back quick.(15-30 minutes?)If ‘hot’ go back quick etc.It all really boils down to your experience and your gut feeling.

If there’s no pressure and the fish wasn’t hot,I don’t go back til I have some significant environmental change.Light changes(clouds,dawn,dusk,etc);Weather changes(wind –strength or direction,fronts,barometric,air temp,etc);or for many,a solunar change(majors/minors,moon/sun etc).

Always go back with a GOOD HOOKING confidence bait,often incorporating ‘speed’ as a trigger.

Always exercise boat control.You may change ‘angles’ or direction of approach(come on,do fish really reason and does it really matter?)but regardless,don’t blow the spot for lack of control.For instance,I often set up a silent drift but NOT if I can’t keep from blowing too close etc.

Always use the ‘perfect partner’ concept.Simply stated,only ONE person should throw-at least the first few casts.Multiple baits landing-often landing off the spot due to hurried competition-is counter productive IMO.Normally the person who had the follow is it but flip a coin if you can’t agree.(or just let your better half do it.Like me.As if I had a choice if she’s along.Lifes too short.)

Abbreviated version but hopefully a lil food for thought and experimenting.