View Full Version : Fishing Report June 22

Jratthelake
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Walleyes are starting to show on the weedlines in Witch Bay. We hit three or four areas this morning with success on the first spot we fished. We caught 15 or so Walleyes, two just under 16 inches and the rest were 19 to 21 inches. We kept the boat in ten ft and pitched into five or six ft. You can start see the weed tops at about 8 ft. An 1/8 oz jig with a white twister is all you need to catch these weed fish. We had limited success on the other spots but I am sure that will change as the weed areas mature in the warm sunny days to come.

This afternoon I spent some time looking for Musky and found a couple of active fish in an area that usually has a nice mix of green and red cabbage, the thick leaf red cabbage that the Muskies love so much, the weeds were not there yet but there was a fish on one of the spots, a low 40 inch fish that followed. At this time the guys I have talked to are finding more active fish on the north shorelines where the water is a few degrees warmer.

Bass fisherman are cleaning up on the shores of both Witch Bay and areas of Andrews Bay. A variety of presentations will take fish at this time, well pretty much anything you can cast within a foot of the bank will be attacked if put in the right place. Top water is obviously the most fun but casting jigs with a simple white twister will catch fish as well as any other presentation. A good practice during the catch and release season is to pinch the barbs on the baits you are throwing for Bass, it will make for a quick release so they can get back to their business. The Bass are fat and we have had a report or two of 19 inch fish, pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the lake right now.

All in all fishing is great and we are finally seeing seasonable weather with fish patterns becoming much more predictable.

Stay safe on the water and good fishing.