PDA

View Full Version : weed treatment

pb1
06-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I read on an other site that there will be some weed treatment of Waubesa and Monona starting next week. While probably safe for muskies, I am wondering how the act of said treatment would effect the fishing. Any thoughts or ideas?

Paul

Muskie Nut
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
To my knowledge the local government have never use herbicide on the Madison Lakes. I'm not sure that they ever will, because that's just Madison.

Where did you see this???

pb1
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I saw it on lake-link.com Here is the post from there, posted under the Waubesa section on 6-19

"Regarding Waubesa and the weeds: Lake Monona and Waubesa are scheduled to be chemically treated with either Diquat and/or chelated copper next week starting on June 22nd. I did some research on Diquat, and while it's considered safe for most fish, yellow perch are most sensitive to it.
From http://everything2.com/title/diquat :

"However, it is effectively harmless to most fish, with an 8-hour LC50 of 12.3 mg/L for rainbow trout and 28.5 mg/L in Chinook salmon. Yellow perch, however, have a 96-hour LC50 of 60mg/L, which is sufficient to cause them harm during normal use for aquatic weed-clearing."

(LC50 is the concentration needed to be lethal to 50 percent of fish exposed to it.)

I'm not going to post my opinion on the matter. I just post this for informational reading.

Mendota is scheduled to be treated later this summer.

Here's the news article reporting this. (see June 17th post) http://www.nbc15.com/newsyoucanuse/headlines/48275577.html

erico
06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
It actually happens every year. Only occurs along private shorline areas, around docks mostly. The homeowner has to pay, the herbicide is applied by a contractor that is supervised by DNR staff. Monona and Waubesa get applications, Mendota to a lesser degree.

As far as affecting fishing, the fish may move out once the weeds start to die, but it leaves a nice edge/hole to work around, haven't specifically targeted muskies in these areas, but bass fishing can be good after the weeds have died