PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering???

slammer
06-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Hey,
Been hearing more and more reports about people catching sheepshead in the bay. Are they becoming a lot more prevalent up here or is it my imagination? Hope we don't end up like lake Winnabago and others with a huge population of them---Not that I'd ever be lucky enough to catch one!!
But hey, it could happen. Do they bite in winter, never heard of anyone catching one through the ice. Just wondering??
Good luck and bring on the ice!!!!!!! Slammer!!!!!

CaptainKenLee
06-18-2009, 06:31 AM
There does seem to be more and more of them each year. They seem to be everywhere too. I've caught them in 5 feet of water on jigs, caught them on crawler harnesses, and we've caught them in 90 feet of water trolling leadcore and cranks. I have noticed that where we're catching sheepy's there also seems to be walleyes present. They do serve a purpose though...seagulls and eagles must eat too (if you know what I mean).

Big Tom
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Drum eat Zebra Mussels and other invasives Ken...they are following the Z Mussels northward. They coexist in many northern Walleye waters and are not considered a detractor to the Walleye or other game fish.
I caught 8 consecutive 2-3 lbers last August near the green can east of Butlers Island vertical jigging... I had a guy from Texas with me and he took em all home to eat...he loves em!:)

SSMACNCHEESE
06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
They are good to eat, I'll vouche. The key is to chuck um on ice right away. Don't put them on a stringer all day or in a bucket. The livewell would do fine (if they stay alive) whatever you do keep them as cold as possible and they are pretty good, worth a try anyway.

CaptainKenLee
06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll pass on the Sheepshead. Tried them once...not for me. I guess when you can get walleyes or northerns whenever you want, it's hard to get excited about sheepies. I'll keep feeding the seagulls.