PDA

View Full Version : Painting Lures

ryanmitchell
06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I want to paint a couple of lures that I currently have. Is there a certian type of paint that will last longer than others, and is there a certain type of sealant you need to apply to made the finish last? Thanks!

Snizz
06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
nail polish!

ryanmitchell
06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I am painting a little rattle trip with nail polish, but I want to paint a bigger musky lure, like a grandma. It would take too long with a little nail polish brush. Roger?

Snizz
06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Roger that...maybe like a rustolium...

SilverFox
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Painting a lure is very difficult, espescially if you want any durability. DO NOT use enamel... No Rustoliem either. I have painted many lures and have tried it all. It has been my experience, and I have talked with a lot of guys who paint, a two stage paint is your best bet. Base coat, clear coat. I prefer laquer or better yet urethane (air brush) with Envirotex epoxy clear coat. This not only brightens it up, but also protects the paint. You must rotate the bait for uniform drying. I also like to use a blow dryer on the epoxy clear coat, it help get all the bubbles out.
If this is too much then get some Laquer in a rattle can and put on two light coats and one good one, with two coats of clear. Krylon is good stuff and it drys quickly.

Hope this helps!

ryanmitchell
06-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Good insight there Silver Fox. I am not all that concerned about the durability. I read up and will definitely but the Krylon clearcoat on after the paint job. How long does it usually take to dry before applying the clearcoat?

I am going to look up the Envirotex.

ryanmitchell
06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Basically I just want to paint a Grandma lure black, sprinkle it with some hobby lobby glitter and put a clear coat on it to seal it. I am not worried about the clear coat, I will just get a spray can of Krylon clear, and put a couple coats on it. I don't have an air brush gun, just want to get the best spray can of black paint, or maybe just take the hooks off and dip it in some paint. Roger?

Ty Sennett
06-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Spray the bait all black first. Let it dry for an hour or two and then put the clear coat on. Sprinkle in the glitter immediately after you put the coat of clear on. Then put another coat of clear on an hour later.

deantre
06-19-2009, 09:02 AM
I have had good luck mixing the sparkles right in the epoxy top coat. I used 2 ton duco, good working time and waterproof, not just water repellent, very hard. I cost a bit more for a bunch but for one or two it is a good way to go. Envirotex, Menards stocks it is more cost effective, $16 gets you enough to take care of loads of lures.
I like to put different color sparkles in too, red sparkles on black throw out a more subdued flash for example.
On wood baits, they need to be fully sealed, each and every screw hole and if they are through wired but without the metal tube glued in, that channel needs to also be sealed.
As soon as the wood soaks up water and swells, the paint will split and then probably flake off.
Waterproof acrylic paints work good on air brush but for out of the can I would go Krylon too.

ryanmitchell
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Is Envirotex the black paint or the clear coat finish?

Ty Sennett
06-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Envirotex is the clear coat.

ryanmitchell
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
5517My brother painted a grandma lure in some kind of orange tiger pattern. I took a triple d and painted in a glitterish walleye pattern, and the third is a super shad rap, that we colored with a red belly, and black with red glitter and added red eyes! It was fun. I will let you all know if they work. It was fun if anything else. We never threw these baits, and this will give us a little incentive to throw them.