PDA

View Full Version : Hooksetting on 8'/+ rods

ttabaleulb
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Have you guys noticed having to change your hooksetting techniques with some of the longer rods? I seem to be having problems getting the hooks into some of these fish with my 8' rod. The 6'10" seems to drive them home easily. Now, the 6'10" is basically a pool cue while the 8' has a much slower tip section. It might be my imagination, but I think I have lost more fish on the longer rod. Just curious to see if you guys had to make some adjustments.

allegheny river kid
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I've noticed a little something with the added length...i set the hooks on fish tonight and smashed my st croix into the side of the boat...needless to say the fish was on for a mere 4 seconds and 2 headshakes and it was gone...you almost have to pick your position in the boat and stay with it to keep your guard up. I know that i will be working on this soon before i lose too many fish.

Jim_Bortz
06-15-2009, 07:09 AM
ARK,
Not sure what rod you're using. There are certainly some 8'+ rods out there that aren't up to the task (even some manufactured and sold as "musky rods"). In the last 2 years I've upgraded all my casting gear to 8' and 8' 6" St. Croix rods (PM80MHF, PM80HF, TM80MHF, TM86HF). They fit my style of fishing quite well and their performance has been outstanding. Just make sure the rod action matches up with the bait you're throwing. If the rod is too light, it will load too much on the retrieve and you'll tend to be out of position on the hookset. That will cost you fish.

I never really intended to spend the cash and buy a TM86HF (they can be a little pricey), but as it turns out, I use it more than any other rod in the boat. What a great stick!

Had a chance to test a TM86XHF last week. I'll have one of those for next season!

Good luck out there.

ttabaleulb
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Jim,

I believe that you are spot on about the rod that I am using loading too much on my retrieve with certain baits. As I think back to the fish that I have lost using this rod, it seems to me that I was out of position while trying to impart action. I normally run the 8' for the "straight" retrieve type baits and the 6'10 for the jerk/glider baits. Unfortunately, I am down to one setup until I get the new reel in and the C3 repaired.

Both rods that I am using are Okuma. I guess I still have some learning to do about these Musky rods.

Jay

Jim_Bortz
06-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Jay,

Glad I could help. Hope things work out with the reels. I know how frustrating it can be to have equipment problems.

Red Childress
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
I will second the TM86HF as being the ultimate multi-purpose rod. I only have to haul one rod with me these days and that one handles 99% of what I throw.

There is an 8ft. Premier version of this rod (2-6oz) that should be shipped out soon. It will be a great choice for my clients to use.

Premier.....180.00 (5-year warranty)

Legend Tournament.....330.00 (Lifetime warranty)

ttabaleulb
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys, thats great to know. When I reach upgrade mode, I will definitely consider those choices. I believe that the equipment that I currently have should work just fine to land a few of these fish. My problem now is that the user (me) just needs more education. :)

The last fish hit while I was doing the oh so important job of watching the kid on the dock cast his bobber. Who knows, if I didn't watch, maybe he would have hooked himself!! So maybe I saved a trip to the ER. LOL

Definitely a different feel using the longer rods, so I just have to get used to the differences between the two setups that I have. I just love the fact that Musky seem to know exactly how to humiliate you to drive a point (unfortunately not a hook) home!! LOL

allegheny river kid
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I've got the new 8' ft premier heavy action over the late winter. Very very nice rod for the money and used the sling blade on a guided fishing trip for 2 days. Also very very nice rod with nice tip action, it threw big plastics suprisingly well and was a charm on the figure 8s...i'll have one someday!

the yeti
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
i use the shimano compre 8' 2-6 ounce as my main rod for normal, every day casting.

at around 100 bucks and a lifetime warranty, you really cant go wrong.

5 seasons ago, and it outlasted every rod i had at the time (loomis, esox, tourney series).

the only other rod i still have that i had when i bought the compre is the pete maina 7'6 2-10 ounce rod from bass pro. i'd buy that rod in a heartbeat again too.

the yeti
06-24-2009, 12:40 AM
obviously, i didn't post the rest for some reason:

i noticed when going from 7' and 7'6 rods that i was missing hits. it took about 10 hits from fish to get back in my hooksetting zone for some reason.
i was setting my hooks too late it seemed.

one thing you'll probably need to be more conscious of is that you can't get away with setting the hook on a longer rod with it pointed straight out at you, and with just a "ooomph" hookset.

you gotta have it pointing to the water when retrieving and you gotta HAMMER it home. once i figured this out, i was fine.