PDA

View Full Version : June 12th report.

CaptainKenLee
06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Well...today was one of those days you thought was going to turn out good. I had the chance to fish with a couple of great guys today (Tom Makela from Gwinn and his future son-in-law Jason from Denver, Colorado). We got set up trolling crankbaits first thing this morning over a deep reef and didn't even have all the lines in the water and we had a fish on. It turned out to be a keeper and then about 5 minutes later another fish came to the boat, a nice 20 incher. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of our day. We caught some smaller fish, two sheepshead, some perch, and that was it. Tried up high, down low, and everywhere in between with crankbaits and harnesses. We finally ended up drifting with floating jig heads in a spot we marked lots of fish, but could only muster up a couple of throwbacks. We marked lots of fish for the first few hours of the day but they just didn't seem too active with the flat calm conditions. Hopefully this warm weather coming will warm up the water (which is still in the upper 50's) and get the fish going. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.

Frank S
06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Thought I had them all figured out too. After I saw you out there, I got 3 keepers on my first pass, all about 17-18", and a throwback. I wasn't so smart after that, couple more dinks, and that was it. Took advantage of the calm conditions and went home and sprayed the orchard.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Must have just been an "off day" today. I figured the perch would be stacked off the campgrounds after a couple days with south wind. I finally found some holding midway down the break, but it was a real pain holding an anchor like that. Packed up and ran to the Escanaba River to troll small cranks in there at sunset. Ended up with a couple bass and two small walleyes. Lost several fish including a keeper sized walleye right behind the boat. Everyone must have headed down to the Ford tonight because there was hardly anyone at Gladstone or the river.