PDA

View Full Version : Pickling Recipes

fonzypoo
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I have been looking for a good pickling recipe for bass and pike. A good friend told me one once, but i dont remember what it was. And when i look it up online they tell you, but an ingredeint is a package of picking spice. I cant find this in stores,or im not looking hard enough. So... Whats pickling spice?? For the sake of not making this answer complex,Can you give me a recipe without saying or useing the words "pickling spice"..

pikeman
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Pickling spice is most often used for canning pickles, but in some other dishes as well. The main ingredients are: cinnamon, mustard seed, bay leaves, allspice, dill seed, cloves, ginger, peppercorns, coriander, juniper berries, mace, and cardamom. For a hotter mix, add some crushed hot peppers.

PICKLING SPICE I

2 cinnamon sticks, broken
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon juniper berries
1 teaspoon crumbled whole mace
1 teaspoon dill seeds
4 dried bay leaves
1 small piece dried ginger

Mix together all the ingredients.

Store in a small, airtight jar up to 2 months.

Makes about 1/4 cup.

Don't waste pike by pickling it. Learn how to fillet it and deep fry it. Thats what I do.

fonzypoo
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Holy cow i need all that,chee weez i'll have to break the bank(that i dont have),to make the stuff. I guess i could get all that, and im sure it would be the best ever. But i was thinking more rustic maybe. But if thats the only way, i guess ill wait and find out what ya all have to say before i make some.Yes ,Yes i have seen the vidoes on u-tube on how to cut a boneless pike. But i'd rate a pike the same as a small mouth or rock bass, triple batter it,pickle it ,broil it even, no matter it all comes out the same...lol.. Please no nasty replys!!!

graywolf53
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I have a very good pickled fish recipe that I have been using for years and I think it is the best one ever.

Bruce's Pickled Fish

Brine:
8 cups water
2 cups pickling salt

Fillet pike or suckers and cut into bite sized chunks (about 3-4 lbs)
place in a glass bowl and cover with brine and let soak overnight

The next day, rinse fish well in cold water and return to the bowl.
Cover fish chunks with a good grade white vinegar and let soak overnight again.

Make pickling soution:
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup white or brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice
3 tablespoons pimento
1 med size onions sliced

Mix all ingrediants in saucepan and bring to a boil,lower heat and simmer for 15mins. Let cool to room temperature.

Remove fish from vinegar soak and put into jars.
Pour pickling solution over fish making sure all fish pieces are covered with solution. Fish should be ready in about 1 week. Keeps for 6-8 weeks in refridgerator Enjoy

ps: picling spice can be found in almost any store in the spice area. (I use McKormick pickling spice)