PDA

View Full Version : Live Bait

QuickSet
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Ty or others, I am excited to try the ghosttail green double blade spinner bait that you put a pro's bend on for me at the Chicago Musky show in January. Anyway I understand the thrill of catching musky on any lure, but am I the only one who thinks you increase your chances by hanging something/anything out the back side of the boat, no further than 10 yards from the outboard? I'm not only talking about suckers in the fall, but has anyone had success with hanging larger perch, 10-13" walleye, 25" inch northern on (plug user name) a QuickSet rig? And uh is this even legal?

Also, I just got back from Pickerel Arms Camp in Canada, where 4 of us boated over 450 walleye. Anyone care to share a honey hole where I can drop a jig and minnow this coming weekend the 12th and 13th?

Snizz
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I think you can use a lil pike as bait after you catch it...

I suppose it would work...but we are on and off spots so fast, that just sounds like a lot of extra movement and work for minimal results...but thats just the lazy fisherman in me talking :P

...and i think the live bait has to be on the side of the boat...i dont think you can have anything behind the boat with it not being considered trolling...shewt I have heard that you cant even use a trolling motor while dragging suckers and that you have to use oars...(but I think that came from an old-timer...old-timers with fishing are very similar to old-timers in baseball...dont like change, no progressive changes to style, reluctant to use technology) and I am not bagging on the old-timers, they have been doing this longer than I have been alive...

...this is all coming to my point where I think the rules on trolling need to be readdressed

Snizz
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.flowagefocus.com/Troll.htm

"Electric Trolling – The use of an electric trolling motor to troll rather than cast for Muskellunge will be rendered ineffective when fishing from a large boat like a Ranger of Tuffy."

So does this mean that you can drag anything when using a trolling motor cuz it is "rendered ineffective"...

Snizz
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
then I found...

According to NR 20.03(40) of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, "troll" or "trolling" means:

"fishing by trailing any lure, bait or similar device that may be used to attract or catch fish from a boat propelled by a means other than drifting or rowing."

Trolling is defined to include backward and forward directed trolling. Forward trolling and back trolling is allowed on waters where motor trolling is currently authorized.

So, you aren't "supposed" to drag anything if you are using a trolling motor...including suckers at the end of the year...

...which brings me back to redefining or changing the trolling laws...

QuickSet
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Okay, thank you Snizz! that was great. So drifting is okay, perfect! I don't want to drag a live bait during a point-to-point or zig-zag troll anyway, just want him hanging out as I buzz my lures past his nose on the retrieve.

So are there any game fish that are ilegal to use as "bait fish" or sizes?

Also still waiting on that honey hole for the walters.

Ty Sennett
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
If someone has a walleye honey hole I'm guessing they aren't going to give it up to you so you can feed them to a muskie. Just a thought.

QuickSet
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Fair enough, sorry about that Ty, a little misunderstanding. I am a fisherman that thrives on action. Short of harpooning a musky or using dynamite, I will do whatever it takes to get one in the boat. Only trying to optimize our chances as "the chip" is 5 hours north. The only musky I have ever caught was a 39" on a quick set rig/sucker combo in November. I was only wondering if one might have success during the summer months, lord knows I* would rather eat the walleye than feed it to musky, but if that's what it takes, I'll settle for spam! The mistake I made was combining the two, walleye holes and live bait rigs. It's nice to take a break from chucking plugs all day to sit down and jig for walleye, no big deal...I'll try my best to find them on my own. Thanks! Awesome site BTW, great fishing updates, and lots of friendly knowledgible members.

ryanmitchell
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice one Danny. Ty, Danny is my brother, aka Quickset. He was just wondering if there are any better than average walleye spots near CC on the chip. We are staying at Sisko's campground for three nights. We are hitting LL and Teal on Thursday, Moose on Friday and Saturday is open, depending how we do at the other lakes. Ideally, we would like to fish those other lakes hard for the skis during the day and evening, and then head back, eat, shower and maybe shove off for a little walleye jigging on the chip after dark. Anywhere close the the campgrounds, either one, that might be good. We see people fishing the bridge all the time, but rarely have I seen anyone bring anything out. We would not use the walters as bait, more likely, just catch and release, or a couple for a snack(human). Thanks

Ryan M
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Now I am confused. Are you going to have human for a snack? Okay I'm kidding. I followed that whole dialogue.... kind of.

For what it's worth. Live bait fishing is sort of frowned on and not practiced much in the warmer months due to high mortality rate (for muskies and it's hard to keep the bait alive) It is usually a fall tactic. I don't know if you already knew that and where just trying to get some walleye spots out of this... but I thought I'd throw that out there anyhow.

IllinoisRip
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Quickset....I too frequent Lee's camp. Cold weather and high water this year so far. Were you at base camp or on a fly out recently?

Ty Sennett
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Like Ryan said, it's hard to keep live bait alive in the summer. Live bait right now is probably a good option. The water is still cool. Sometimes they can't resist a tasty sucker dangling out there.

QuickSet
06-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Awesome!!! Thank you so much guys! I promise to only use suckers that I buy at the store along with the minnows for walleye. I understand the concern.

Hey Illrep...great to hear! We were on Kabiwabiki from May 18th thru 24th. It is truely amazing, like a bear drawn to a salmon stream, we couldn't venture away from two holes...river in > river out. 4 quarts of minnows 450+ walleye in four days, 15 or more over 28", never a dull moment. 30" was the biggest. Can't wait to get back!!

ryanmitchell
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I was fishing the Chip and sister lakes while little bro was hauling in monster walleyes hand over fist. Nobody is dishing any info on the chip walleye spots though bro, so I am hoping your hot hand from Canada rubs off this weekend! He has his mind set on a live bait rig, and if we pursue that angle we will let you know how it turns out. We are in no way interested in doing any harm to Hayward area muskies, be sure of that. It would be nice if a few of them came along for a ride though!