PDA

View Full Version : Walleye techniques

rpreston
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I am retuning to Eagle lake after a 10 year lay off. In the time I was gone I got married and had four kids. I am planning on taking the two boys (9 & 8) this year. I very excited.

The question I have is that I have not been walleye fishing since the last time I was there. The tackle I hear a lot about is the bottom bouncer rig for getting to the fish in the rock beds while not getting snagged as much. I remember getting my egg sinker snagged many times to my fishing partner’s frustration. Do the bottom bouncers work as well as advertised? I also remember having much better success with a worm harness than a minnow and jig set up.

I also will be going in early August and am looking forward to just making it fun for the kids so they want to come back. Any tips or ideas on fishing during this time would be appreciated.

Alexnsw
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I am by no means a walleye expert, I am a diehard ski fisherman. But what I have seen working for that time period is a lindy rig, with a minnow. What you do is slide on a walking sinker and then snell on an octopus hook (size 2 i think), pick the length of the rig and then pinch on a split shot.

That is what I do when I need some walleyes for the freezer...

IF someone else could chime in here I would appreciate it.

Good luck and mabey see you up there,
Alex

Steve Herbeck
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
well it's about time!!! im sure you'll have a great time. walleye fishing on eagle is with no exageration at least 50%-70% better than 10-15 years ago with numbers of eater fish and many days you catch far more slot fish and over with excellent chances at fish 27-30.
Mid-late Aug Is A Great Time For Walleyes On The Reefs In Eagle Lake.
Depths Avg 24-38' With Typically Alot Of Fishing At 26-32'.
Jigs And Lindy Rigs With Minnows Are Common And Everyday Techniques Here.
Bottom Bouncers Will Work And Excell When Pulling Spinner Rigs With Crawlers And Harnesses ,trolling Shallow Running Minnow Baits Deep,and Can Work With Other Live Baits Such As Minnows However It Is Hard To "feed" The Bait To The Fish As They Are Heavy (at Those Depths You Would Want To Use 2.5-4oz As The Rule Of Thumb Is 1 Oz Per 10' Of Depth ).you Must Keep The Line From The Rod Tip To The Bouncer At A 45 Degree Angle Or Less Or It Will Be Ineffective As A Relativley Snag Free Presentation .just The Tip Of The Wire Should Touch Bottom,if The Sinker And Wire Are Dragging It Will Be Always Snagged.
That Is A Tip When Using A Lindy Or Similar Slip Sinker,use One Heavy Enoungh To Stay Nearly Vertical,usually 3/8 To 5/8 Will Do,just Tapping Bottom Occasionally To Be Sure You Are There As Depths Change Or Speed Increases/decreases.
there are ways to use a bouncer as slip sinker. cut the arm off the bouncer that goes from the line tie to where you attach the leader so all you have is wire with the weight to the line tie . thread a plastic interchangable spinner rig clevis on your line and snap the eye of the bouncer into the clevis. tie on a swivel and attach the length leader you need.when you get a bite the line will now slide through barrel of the clevis allowing you to give the fish line as they take the bait in without feeling the weight and dropping the bait. in real clear water we have found that day in and day out typically longer leaders are needed for this to fish as effectivley as a lindy rig.

rpreston
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Does the type or color of spinner make that big of a difference? I see many different knock offs on ebay for considerable less money. I want to set myself up with a fair amount of tackle and just want you opinion.

Steve Herbeck
06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
blade size,configuration,color,etc can all make a diff. depending upon water color,temp,baitfish present,weather such as how high or bright the sun is etc.
as long as they are put together with quality components all commercial rigs are basically handmade anyway.
or you get your self a bunch of components such a diff blade sizes and colors,interchangeable clevises,beads of diff sizes and colors,hooks,leader materail from mono 10-20# ,floro carbon,fireline,and or light wire for where there are alot of pike and you can easily make up your own for all conditions and waters you fish besides it's a great way to spend nights getting ready.