PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks for musky?

jah1317
06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey does anyone on here use kayaks for musky? I myself do, and I love it! I saw a post on the m1 forums and figured I would see if anyone else does it around here. FYI I am up near meadville pa and if there is anyone who would like to meet up and fish a stream I have a good route for an all day trip but need some help exploring it. Shoot me a PM on here or get me via e-mail jacob_hindle@hotmail.com

take care,

jacob

Red Childress
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
ttalabeulb and 3RiversEsox will be able to help you. I think RichW is a canoe/kayak rat as well.

Mark G.
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Did anyone happen to catch the one show a couple weekends ago on OTV...Adventure Guides...where they were fishing San Diego Bay from a kayak? Now that would be a challenge. Keep your arms and legs out of the water! They also showed some footage of a guy catching a sailfish in a kayak.

ttabaleulb
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Jacob,

I have a lot of exploring to do on the Juniata River this year and I think the kayak will be my best bet. I plan to have it on the water this weekend to try to regain my "kayak legs". The Musky rod will be with me along with a couple of those lure wallets of yours filled with Musky baits!! :) I am still hoping to hit up a couple of those lakes near you this year. If I get the chance, I can throw the kayak in the back and maybe we can put a trip together.

Jay

jah1317
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Jay,

You name the time and the place and I have some water for you! Glad to see you using the wallets in the kayak, I love that I can throw 2-3 in there and they don't take up any room. Seeing that other thread made me remember how much fun ( and scarey) it is to fish from a kayak. One tip for a good anchor, get about 3' of heavy log chain and attach some rope to it, it takes up little to no room is heavy enough to hold the kayak where you need it. You should try heading up this way some weekend I know it is a heck of a trip but we have some fish up this way! Also, I am hoping to have my boat up and running by mid summer so all you would really need is your kayak and gear and the boat is already here.

Red, I did check out that thread..... heck I even responded to it at that time! I do have to get some pics posted of my setup who knows I may come bobbing by you on the allegheny some time.... :-).

Take care,

Jacob

lowbidder
11-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Jacob,
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I couldn't help it when I saw the subject line. I've been kayak fishing for the last two years. Not as much this year since I bought my river boat. I had been wanting to do a 2-3 day float of french creek this summer, but never got around to it. My buddy and I both have Prowler Trident 15's. They're a bit big for small creeks, but we make do. My wife has a OK Peekaboo that I rigged up for fishing that might work better in the tight spaces.
I concur with the chain anchor. I use one as well. I wrapped it in a bicycle tire to keep it from snagging. It lays in the kayak right under my knee until I need it. I also use an anchor trolley which is so valuable in a stream. Need to spin around? Just tug on the rope.

Here's some pics of our kayak trailer we custom built from an old boat trailer and my buddy with his first creek musky. That was Dunkard creek a few months prior to the fish kill.

Mike

jah1317
11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Sweet trailer, I still cartop mine, but I don't have very far to go to find water... 15 miles is a long trip usually 2 miles or less. I am a wuss, I made pontoons to go on mine so that a deep run does not flip me. I handled a 35" with out a problem in it and she made some deep runs! I still have to post my kayak pic showing what I did but I have not gotten around to it. Nice pics, if your ever up this way give me a shout and I will take you to a few nice creeks, including french (my home waters).

Good luck,

Jacob

Anzomcik
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Sweet trailer. I like that alot. The first time through the post i over looked those pics. I am glad i revisited. Very clean lookin job, you should be proud of that.

ttabaleulb
11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Man, those are some pretty sweet setups. I really need to get back into the kayak next season!!

Jacob,

Are you still making those Lure Wallets?? Those things have been absolutely perfect for the Musky flies. I am filling the two up that I have pretty darn fast, especially with the 12" flies. I'd be interested in pickin up at least one more in the near future.

jah1317
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Jay,

Yep, I am still making them, go ahead and pm me when your looking to get one and I will get it sent your way. Sounds like your amassing quite an arsenal! if you get the chance, shoot me a pic with a wallet full up with your flies, I could use the shot plus I would like to see what your chuckin' at them!

Take care,

Jacob

ttabaleulb
11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Jacob,

I should be able to get a picture or two for ya in the near future. I'll pm ya soon to get one of those ordered. I'm thinking about gettin back into tying these things too, so I'll need the extra space to carry these things.

Jay

muskyjerk
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Been catching muskies from my kayak since my first weekend w/ one since August 2006. I leaned quick to have release tools for muskies even if I wasn't fishing for them.
Been fishing for muskies like the rest of you addicts since jan 2008. Glider jerkbaits work well for casting. Some cranks will pull me towards the bait so they are mostly trolled.

Folbe rod holders work great for long handled musky rods while Scotty spinning/ baitcast holders have the rod get pinned by the weight of the fish. When the fish lets up on the pressure enough to free the rod it is usually to late unless the rod handle is short.

The rod should always be long enough to bring around the front or back if the fish runs under the kayak. Mine is 12ft and I Use rods that are a minimum of 6'6".

***I don't have the figure 8 routine figured out yet. Will usually circle bait around kayak. had one follow 270 degrees once but no hooking yet. Nervous about one biting while I have the bait behind me and holding the rod over my head. Does anyone have a better way?