PDA

View Full Version : Left Handed Reels?

Trav
06-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey Ty,

Wondering if you invested in any left handed reels yet for us "wrong" handers? If not, I'll plan on bringing mine along.

Just want to confirm, half-day, Thursday (6-11), 7:00 am, CC south? Any changes to that?

And remember to bring the Ice Out prizes. I expanded the ole muskie box to fit those in there.

Later

trav

Ty Sennett
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
We are still on for that time. I'll bring your goodies. No left handed reels yet. Sorry. I only use reels the corrects way.:)

Snizz
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Left handed reels are the only way to go! way better hook setting power with your right arm then your left...plus, much easier to reel and cast...

Trav
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm with you Snizz. I just don't get it. I'm right handed, but why cast with your right arm on the right side of your body, then switch the rod to the other side to reel. I think I have this debate everytime I fish, but no one gets it until they try it out. Oh well.

See you Thursday Ty.

Snizz
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I know it's loud in the video but my company is putting a silent motor in it so it will be very quite...it never tips over! i think it is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJJQ0zNNOM

Ty Sennett
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
That looks like money well spent. Not!

As for the reeling right handed VS. left handed. Simple physics. If you cast out of the left side of the boat you get a better hookset with a right handed reel and hookset over your right shoulder. If you are casting over the right side of the boat you get a better hookset with a left handed reel and a hookset over your left shoulder. This is assuming you are moving forward the whole time.

Sometimes I sleep but my brain never does.

muskymeyer
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Sometimes I sleep but my brain never does.. . . . . .

Maybe you should let it once in awhile!!!!!!!!!

Make a reel with handles on both sides . . . . . . .or fish like i do and not worry about hook sets.

Corey Meyer

muskymeyer
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Oops Ty . . . . .forgot i was banished from posting. :P

Corey Meyer

Ty Sennett
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Keep it up Meyer! WhyIouta......:mad:

RobertTB
06-10-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm right handed but I never take my left hand off the reel when I cast. I perceive it as a more efficient means of body movement during fishing endeavor, none of that swithching business. Makes Ty shake his head at me. I taught my daughter to fish like that when she was little. Honked Ty off so bad, he had to un-teach her one day to cast the "right" way. She liked it, much to my chagrin, and actually casted much better thereafter.

Thats all I have to say about that.

dfkiii
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Left handed reeling works for me. The only time I used a right handed reel was to teach my daughter to cast her Zebco 33. All of my other reels, be they baitcasting or spinning, are lefties.

deafmuskyhunter
06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
After fishing for bass few years I find hookset sidewayover my right side with either side on reels r way to go compare to upward as I apply that style to muskie fishing as I haven't boated a lot yet *second full year fishing for muskie* but I find my hookset style r way to go but that's everyone's preferance to whatever lefty or righty reel to use. There r no wrong methods to use imo.

Snizz
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
There r no wrong methods to use imo.

...there are when you get use to only setting the hook off to the side...which doesnt work well anyway...but when you get moved into the middle of the boat, and you go to set the hook, and slap someone in the face...not the best method...

plus you can't use all of your power setting to the side instead of setting up...i personally like to keep my rod between a 60 to 90 degree angle...of course this applies to all subsurface lures...topwater lures do require you to set to the side from time to time...just be aware of the other people in the boat!

it sounds ridiculous...but i started practicing my hook sets again by catching panfish with a lil hook and bobber (my bobber!) on a mini ultra light pole...

Too many times I see people trying to set the hook by pulling...they pull the rod, which pulls the line, which pulls the bait out of the mouth of a muskie.

Don't pull...setting the hook is a quick hard slam to embed the hooks into the muskies face! The corner has been turned...no more weak hook sets...I am driving my hooks into every muskies face that comes my way! (Think of the scene in the movie "BloodSport" when Van Damn has to break the bottom brick...watch it over and over again...then apply that to your hooksetting technique, i think you will be pleasantly surprised!)

Ty Sennett
06-11-2009, 06:30 AM
That's way too informative Snizz. I think just set the hook and get out of the way works just fine. Take one for the team if you have to.