PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the big chip 6-6 - 6-13

Karst
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm going to the chip this weekend. I'm staying at deer run resort in moore bay. I have never fished the flowage before. I'm mainly going to be fishing for musky,pike, bass, and crappie, maybe try some walleye fishing. Are there any specific areas of the lake I should target? I know there is suppose to be a cold front moving in. Should I still use Rapalas spinners and spoons to target pike? Maybe live bait for walleyes? Any advice would be helpfull

ryanmitchell
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
From my limited time on the Chip (5 full days), this is all I can offer. People have been really helpful to me on this site, so here is my 2 cents. Moore's Bay is supposed to be really great for crappies. Not sure if they are biting now (spawn) but that is a great spot for crappies. I was just up a couple of weeks ago and caught several smallies on the far southeast end of the lake between the 2 rivers on the shoreline on plastic worms.

I wish I knew more about fishing walleyes on the Chip! Any bogs or bars in 15ish feet of water should be a good starting point for walleye. I have zero walleye experience here though. Both sucker minnows, and husky jerkish Rapalas cast or trolled should produce early or late in the day.

Had more luck with smaller mepps for the pike, than spoons, but I would not be afraid to throw spoons, and/ or a rattle trap.

Just down from Moore's are a couple of rivers, a smaller one and the Nursery. I caught a little pike in the small river on a small mepps with bronze blade. Also had luck with nickel blade. Small #5's. Last year I had a large fish, not 100% it was a musky, but I would bet, it was on the east shoreline near the visible stumps. Lots of nice structure in the Nursery. I have always wanted to toss some bulldawgs towards the middle of the that river, but have stuck to the shoreline there.

The northern part of this enormous fishery is supposed to be the best for early season musky action. Green bladed spinners and bucks are supposed to be choice on this system for the skis. Black and orange is always money. Water warms the fastest in the northern section. Highway CC breaks the lake in half east/west. The east end is supposed to have more smallies, the west side more largemouth. There is a little lake called Crystal on the west side that my brother and I think is heaven. We also hammered the largemouth on medium walleye suckers on black fuzzy jigs there. That was late last summer with weed growth. Tried the same lake 2 weeks ago and it was dead. Weeds were hard to find a couple weeks ago.

Bottom line. Some of the Hot Spots locations are good, but your focus should be on finding new weed growth, and warmer water. Move around, enjoy the scenery. Pay attention! It can be treacherous navigating this lake. Knock off little pieces each day, don't try and tackle it all at once. Too big! Good luck and enjoy.

Ty Sennett
06-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Use Rapalas for the walleyes also. They are crushing muskie crankbaits right now so you should have no problem getting them to hit walleye sized Rapalas.

Karst
06-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Good luck on the water

deantre
06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
watch for surfacing baitfish too, especially on a clear calm day. a bass sized spinnerbait will get you pike, bass and sometimes walley.