PDA

View Full Version : Tubing near by?

wing dam
06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Bringing the fmaily up for the 1st time and staying on lake Bastine. I have a 2yo and 5yo. The 5yo started tubing last year and will insist on doing some while we are up at TFF.

Are there any lakes near by that would be good?
We have a 23' pontoon we are bringing and putting in on the TFF but can trailer it to another lake.
The owner of the house said lake Bastine is fine for tubing but it seems that my be frowned upon by some of the posts I have read?

Any advice.

Any idea on which landing will take a 23' pontoon that would be close to Bastie?

Thanks

ski2313
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I'd never dream of taking my kid tubing anywhere on the TFF, but that's just me.. Even though Bastine is "usually" alright, you never know. I guess I just have seen so much floating wood, etc that I wouldn't even risk it, especially with 1000 other lakes around. Minocqua maybe?

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I suggest that you launch your pontoon at Sportsmens Landing, which is the nearest public landing to Lake Bastine. Donners Bay will also let you launch for a small fee, but I find it is easier to launch our pontoons at Sportsmen Landing. Have a safe and funfilled vacation. www.flambeauvista.com

cnbo4
06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
We head over to Trude Lake. Its big and the middle is clear of stuff. The north?? shore is all sand also.

cnbo4
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I forgot to mention we head to Manitowish Waters also. I think its Rest lake. Not for sure. Really nice tubing lake.

McGR
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
+1 For Rest Lake on the Manitowish Chain. We have freinds with a place on Rest that we often visit when staying at the flowage. It's a good size lake with nice depth - perfect for watersports. It's never been too crowded there either when we visited. There is a also a real good launch at the park on the north end of the lake. The fishing ain't too bad either...

IOOF105
06-05-2009, 10:20 AM
You will be just fine with tubing on Lake Bastine. It is a smaller lake but plenty deep, and with plenty of room for tubing. I would just take a quick pass around the lake to make sure that you know the area and then have fun. As far as tubing anywhere else on the TFF my quick answer would be just don't, stay on Bastine for tubing. The rest of the flowage is just an accident waiting to happen for sking or tubng. Have fun and let us know how it goes.:)

mikesgotone
06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree that you'll be fine on lake bastine. have fun!

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
There is a sand bar about 30 yards off our docks that you should steer clear of when tubing. www.flambeauvista.com

SLEDHEAD
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Bastine is fine. Done it for 20+ yrs and have fun!!

George
06-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I guess I would just like to emphasize what IOOF said earlier. Even though Lake Bastine is relatively safe, this is still a flowage. There's any one of a gazillion logs that can, and do, come loose and just come floating by. A careful check of the area is absolutely necessary. I take it that since your child is only 5 you aren't whipping him all over the water. So going at a relatively slow speed is a plus. I skiied on the flowage back in 1966 when there was one heck of alot more stuff to hit and have lived to talk about it. In fact, there's a video upload somewhere in the archives on this board! However, if it was me, I'd go to another lake. Rest Lake on the Mani is a beautiful clear lake and has a very uniquely colored water. It's like boating in somebody's swimming pool! Make a day of it and take the family to Little Bohemia for lunch. They have docks for boat customers and you can show them where Johnny Depp filmed part of Public Enemy!

Good luck!

wing dam
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys!