PDA

View Full Version : input please-potential boat purchase

releaseher
06-04-2009, 12:00 AM
hey boys and girls

hope everything is going well on the water and you are seeing (maybe boating?) some good fish.

i have never owned my own boat before, and am looking at a used 2000 ranger R71. it looks like it is in mint shape inside and out, and i feel like i have a good price point locked up with the guy selling it and have talked to a few guys that are "ranger nuts" who are telling me to go for it. other than that i have researched as much as i can on-line with forums and chats. the motor that would come with it is a 115 hp johnson.

what i am looking for a decent boat to cast out of for smaller to medium sized water-typically 2 people will be bombing away...so the 17' 1" length isnt a problem. i fish as much as i can in the burnett/washburn/sawyer county area, with a little bit done in minnesota, rarely on the mille lacs and red lake sized waters.

if any of you guys have fished in the "R" series boats, or have input on johnson motors or ranger boats in general, please let me know what you think. i would really appreciate your opinions.

Chuck Schranz
06-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey ReleaseHer:

First Ranger boat I ever purchased was an R93. At the time it was the first ever Ranger series offered at $25,000.

Built under the same stringent guidelines and specifications as all other Ranger boats. Only drawback was the trailer didn't have disc brakes. Kept the boat for two years and then moved into the Comanche.

Fished on many inland bodies of water and only time I ever had water coming in over the bow was when I fished on Eagle in Canada in some pretty inclement conditions. Perfect boat for most smaller lakes...Chip included.

The following year I talked one of my buddies into buying the R71. It was perfect. Little shorter than my R93, but other than that identical in every aspect. Top end was around 45mph and got "out of the hole" with no problem.

Can't offer any insight on the Johnson motor cause I've always been a Merc guy.

Ranger, in my opinion, makes the best boat out there...but I'm prejudiced. As long as you can afford the sticker shock you won't be disappointed.

Good luck

Chuck

twells
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Releaseher,
I had a 97 or 98 R71 sport for a year before it got totaled. However my father in-law owned before I had it and drove it a lot. Hole shots were great with the stainless blade on it. Top end I could get 51-52 with 2 guys and gear. 1 pesron with out gear was right around 54-55 pending on conditions. I loved the boat. It was great for fishing 2 people out out. We have had it our in 2 footers and could handle it. Not that it was overlly fun but it did handle it. We were able to get into smaller lakes also. To date it is still the easiest loading boat I have ever owned or been around with my family. The motoron it was a 115 Johnson Faststrike. The only problem I had with the motor was a main fuse that blew on me 2 times. Other then that it was a great boat. Hope you enjoy it and is the price is right I wouldn't pass it up. Good luck:)