PDA

View Full Version : Murph-What's your go-to muskie lure?

JBOX
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I know it's like pulling teeth to get anglers to reveal secrets but. . . we'll be heading to Leech on June 12th for a shot at muskies (first time on this lake) and I'm wondering if you'd reveal this: if you could only bring one lure with you at this time of year, on Leech, what lure would it be? The selection is overwhelming and I'm just looking for a little help picking the right ones.

Thanks!

Murph!
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Only one lure, that would be a very tough decision. I usually make my choice due to weather conditions. Not weather the day I am fishing but weather during the spring. Again, we are facing unusual cold water(global warming?). This means we will have to go small and slow for the most part. If I could use only one bait it would be a 6 inch Reef Hawg. OK there you have it, but since we can have more than 1 bait in the boat here are a few other choices. A jig and soft plastic, a small buck tail and or spinner bait. I would also try a topwater bait like a jackpot. I slow walk the dog bait will move some fish.

The key is to experiment with baits till you can find a pattern. May be difficult due to late spawning of fish and cold water. The fish were still spawning on Memorial Day week end.

Good luck