PDA

View Full Version : anyone else have this happen before

Jax
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Well I had a first this past weekend. I have heard stories of this happening before but have never witnessed it or heard first hand of this happening.

Well I was fishing on the West side on Sunday and was casting towards a small weed bed edge that I found. When I was just about ready to pull in the trolling motor and move there was a huge splash and boil behind me in about 15-20ft of water. So I put down my bucktail rod and picked up my rod with my crane bait and made a cast out in the 15-20ft of water about 10 yards past where the huge boil was. On my second jerk it crushed the bait and I set the hook. I felt a few powerful head shakes and then it was gone. I never saw the fish but it definately felt impressive.

My question is has anyone ever saw a splash or boil and then make one cast over towards it and have it hit? I have moved through an area abit after spotting a fish and then had it hit but I have never had one hit like this on the first cast after spotting it especially out in 15-20ft of water.

Ty Sennett
06-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Yes we have boat ed quite a few that way but the odds are not good. We caught a 48 1/2 a couple years ago that way. My brother broke line on one a few years back that was low to mid fifty inch. That one rolled on the surface before hitting. I told him go ahead and cast at it because it wont hit. Doh!

Cold Front
06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I've casted to rolls and boils all my life...because i just can't help myself. i've been successful in getting that fish to hit exactly once. I boated about a forty inch northern that boiled on the surface behind us in Strawberry Bay on Rainy Lake when I was 14.

Cold Front

jkahler
06-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I've had strikes, lost fish, but usually they just follow (topwater) back to the boat.

I also go over and look the area over, sometimes there's a little hump or structure the fish are near/on.

Josh Guthrie
06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Last year while fishing in Minnesota, my buddies and I were fishing a weedline. I make a cast and as it was in the air there was a boil in the same area as I was casting. My bait hit the water and I looked at Clint and said "did you see that"? Then all of a sudden my rod loaded up. It was a 49.5"er. I don't know if that will ever happen again, but it's a cool story to tell and a nice fish.

Josh

ryanmitchell
06-04-2009, 11:03 AM
That is a cool story and an interesting topic. Funny how we always throw back and jumps/boils. Those jumps and boils get our attention though and keep us motivated.