PDA

View Full Version : Great Walleye fishing !!

river runner
06-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Our annual walleye camp report,
Me and a buddy were fishing the upper bay Thursday-Saturday and ended up with 27 keepers. We had a couple nice dinners and braught our 10 home to the familys. It was one of the better years we have had. We read the bite had been slow and some of the other campers at Vagabond were getting skunked and we werent sure how it would go. We got our 2 man limit Thursday and Satrurday, Friday we did manage 7 keepers, but the wind just was to strong. We fished floating jigs on the center reef drifting crawlers and leeches. We had the 20' MFG with the canvas top.

Water temp was 55-56 all of the fish we took were in 15-22 FOW.

We stuck out the rain Thursday and the wind the other days and got our fish.
Saturday was wierd, we had 1 keeper between 7-11am and then BAM the bite was on, we had 1 double and each drift we got a fish all 12-3pm, bright sun and very windy.
The fish seemed bigger for us than previous years, alot of 17-19" fish but we prolly threw 30-40 12" fish back.

Thanks Dave and Kathy for the hospitality, well be back.

Here is our first morning catch !

The Bait Shop Guy
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Great to hear guys! Good job. Nice to see the usual walleye patterns will still work if you can put up with the weather. Did you have any particularly hot colors?

YooperTroll
06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
my dad-in-law caught an 18-inch walleye in the river this afternoon near the boat launch in wells...it's gullet was full of 3-4 inch minnows (couldn't tell what kind as they were digested pretty well)...caught it on a nightcrawler but it had been feeding hard on fish prior to being caught (which makes sense, eh? ;)). Oh, and the natural-fish-used-as-unwitting-bait were silver in color. silver is the hot color!!! :)

just an fyi...

river runner
06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Great to hear guys! Good job. Nice to see the usual walleye patterns will still work if you can put up with the weather. Did you have any particularly hot colors?

Thanks Chris, we did well on orange, chartruse/green just the northland gummy, and purple/white dots gummy with the purple blade and white beads, think it was a I-42 walleye choice ? Seemed like the bigger fish came on leeches.

Good fishing all.