PDA

View Full Version : Question about the river.

RiverRunt
05-31-2009, 11:00 AM
My question is this: How tough is wading the Allegheny?

Do any of you think it is dangerous?

Or do any of you think it is relatively easy at less than 2500 cfs?

ppalko
05-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Higher water restricts (a lot!) where you can go and at 2500 that will be basically very close to shore in very few places as access is limited. The bottom can be incredibly slippery as I liken it to ball bearings in some sections. Studs are a big help. Knowledge of the river is also a must since access points are limited to some extent. I do most of my wading when the river at the dam is reading 1500 or lower or the gauge in town is reading 1900 or lower. I use a canoe to island hop and can fish a larger number of areas that way and am less affected by higher water that way as well and do not have issues with access points that way as well. I wet wade in summer. I would not say wading is easy, nor is it dangerous if you are smart about where and when you wade.
If you are heading to the river for the first time and plan to explore, I'd wait for lower water 1500 cfs or below.

ppalko

RiverRunt
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks ppalko. I've only waded the river about 5 times and really haven't had much trouble. I can kind of "feel" where there's a drop-off or sliding sand. I use felt soled Chotas and they seem to give me a pretty good grip. When the water is high, I just let it push me and I fish downstream.
I have heard that when they open a gate. you can really get in trouble. Is there a "wave" that comes down the river or does it just kind of come up gradually?

Red Childress
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Very gradual rise for the very reason you are concerned...when you start to see grass/sticks/logs/leaves coming down, you know the gates are opening ....In case you did not know, you can see the outlfow in real time by going to my "resources" page, clicking on the ACE site then scroll down about 4-5 sub headings until you see Kinzua outflow data.

Never put the fate of a "wading only" trip to Warren in the hands of the 814-726-0164 discharge number......that message is recorded at 9:30 am each day and can change by 10am without the message being updated.

RiverRunt
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks Red. One of my buddies told me it's possible to get stuck on an island when the water is coming up. Would you say that if I notice the water is coming up by the leaves and debris, that I should be able to make it back to shore OK?

Red Childress
06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
As long as you can swim! :)

Joking of course......I am afraid to comment on that one. By the time you notice floating debris, it could be too late depending on where you are trying to cross. When the water comes back down later this week, the bank debris will be clear for a few days so if it were to rise, there would be nothing floating down at that time.

I will play it safe and say "maybe".

RiverRunt
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Good enough, Red. Thanks.