PDA

View Full Version : Bait colors for Walleye and Musky

JAA
05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi All. Coming to the Chip in two weeks. It's been well over a decade since last visit. Fishing for everything.

Lure color and size suggestions? Want to get maybe 2 to 3 colors in 2 sizes to restock my supply.

Walleye/Bass Lures:

Rapala Countdown sizes 8 & 10?
Rapala Husky Jerk sizes 8& 10?
Recommend a rattle bait, color and size.

Muskies:

Just picked up a pacemaker in Fire Tiger
Have Black single and double spinner bucktails
Recommend another surface lure.

Ty Sennett
05-31-2009, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't bother with a rattle bait for walleye. That's more of a pike bait or bass bait. I have caught a few walleye on them this year but I think that's more of a fluke. It sounds like you have the walleye baits covered. Just bring a ton of Rapalas and you're good. Make sure to use a flourocarbon bloodknot leader. Otherwise, you donate a lot of crankbaits to the pike out here.

For another muskie topwater, try Bitten Tackle's Creeper. If you don't find them online, Deerfoot lodge has them. They are a good sized creeper for the time of year.

JAA
06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Ty,

Thank you. Good point on the leaders, hadn't thought of that. Lure's aren't cheap. I'll take your suggestion on the creeper.

Ty Sennett
06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
One more point is that you cannot bloodknot flourocarbon to fiberline like fireline, cortland masterbraid, or spiderwire. The fiberlines cut right through the flourocarbon. You "can" bloodknot mono line to flourocarbon though.

JAA
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
What if my line on the reel is Flouracarbon 8 lb test?

JAA
06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Talking about the walleye rod of course.

Ty Sennett
06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Then you are fine to bloodknot to it.