PDA

View Full Version : Tips

steelcurtain
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Me and a couple friends will be up at the TFF next week. Any tips for smallmouth, walleye, and muskie? Will be my first time at the TFF. Cant wait to go. Any tips will definatly be appreciated

mikesgotone
05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I can tell you right now these tips will not be anything like the tips you get from the pros of the tff. but we've been going up there since I was a kid. Every year we have success fishing spinners. but they always must be tipped with a "mister twister" or something like that. like a 3" grub with a tail of some sort. I've tried many different methods and baits but spinners are what we always end up fishing with the entire trip. It depends on what time of year though. if its bass youre looking for, and holy shit are ther some smallies on that body of water. TROPHIES!!! look for rocks. wind blown. theres plenty. and if you get a cold front or something the fishing slows down but you can still find em under the occasional log or stump. tube jigs work great if your on the fish. MIni spinners are awesome for some reason. like the "mini wacker" by strike king. put a grub on it and its gold. walleyes... tons of small pike, with the occasional decent one. jumbo perch or crappie. and last but certainly not least smallmouth bass. wow. never have I saw a fishery with the number of quality fish. always a blast.
now. if you've had any expirience with poppers. do not let this opportuniy pass you by. find a calm point with rocks or weed/wood structure. early morning or sunset. 17" to 19" hogs guaranteed.
youre gonna hear alot about jigging live bait. especially with reeves weedless jig. and they may catch way more fish than I do. But I catch my share and have a blast doing so.
good luck! and let me know if any of my suggestions worked.
p.s. listen to Don Pemble

steelcurtain
05-30-2009, 02:16 PM
thanks for the tips. I realy appreciate it!!!!!!! I'll definatly let you know how the fishing goes.

Birdoguy
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
There is a Guide in Mercer by the name of Phil Graser who makes spinner baits which work great for just about everything in the Flowage. They are called Boonie Baits. Unfortunately, from what I understand, he is not selling them in the bait stores any longer, and you have to go to his home to purchase them. Last year there was a small selection of them at the gas station, last to the left as you go north out of Mercer.

I swear by these, however I find it somewhat irritating that I need to go to make arrangements to go to his home now to purchase them rather than purchase them while I am also getting live bait. There used to be a good selection of them at the Turtle River Trading Company.

I have caught Muskie, Northern, Walleye, and large perch on these, with yellow and white being my color preference on both the flowage and smaller lakes in the area.