PDA

View Full Version : Hayward Fishing Report

ryanmitchell
05-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Alright gents, here it goes. My hands feel like sandpaper, and I have racoon eyes. Got up to hayward at 3:30 Saturday morning, slept in the truck for a few hours at the lost land launch. Got up at 7:30, hit the water. Caught a couple bass on a senko, and had a musky pop up out of the weeds and nibbble at my wacky senko. Pretty silly. Headed up to tiddlywink bar area in Lost land and had follows from three decent muskys. It was when I was buring the firetiger bucktail I was using, never got a follow on the slow retrieve. Caught a real quality walleye on the same mepps musky killer, firetiger. Went over to teal lake and fished around the islands, nothing, went back to lost land and had a couple more follows, always at higher speeds.

Saturday - Chippewa Flowage. Fished the south part of the lake, caught some smallies. Fished a few spots for skis, but no follows or nothing. I have fished 6 days on the chip now and have never seen a follow.

I was going to go to Moose on Monday morning, but after talking to some guys in a bait shop they pointed me to the Tiger Cat flowage. I must have had 15 follows, all little dink musky or pike. Caught a nice 29" pike on a nickel/black buchertail, fluted bucktail. Other fish were on that bait too, I could just not get the speeds right or the angle maybe. I also caught three bass in 15 minutes on a black/blue senko. It was really windy!!

I liked Teal lake, but Lost Land fished better, easier to identify the weeds. The Chip is beautiful, but hard to infrequently fish, and my prop got a little jacked up heading into Crystal Lake. How much does it cost to repair a prop, or to replace it? Tiger Cat Flowage is a tiny musky hatchery, but I saw three nice fish follow. I would suggest to any one fishing that lake to hit the bottom little lake, McClaine Lake. Right when you enter into the main lake, after the trimmed up motor ride though the channel, that whole bay in loaded with new green weeds, and fish are everwhere. I drifted in from 7 or eight feet and fan casted and burned across the tops of the weeds. If you can get a bait like a slop master through that stuff, you will kill em. They may be small little dudes, but those looking for a fish, should get one there.

Good luck up there this year. I might make it up around the 4th of July. Thanks to all who gave me info, especially Ty, Gary and Dan.