PDA

View Full Version : Cedar River Walleye Report

finaddict
05-23-2009, 09:34 AM
After a really crappy stretch of weather down here for opening week the weather has finally cooperated to allow us to get out the past couple of nights.

I fished Thursday night solo and things weren't looking very good after the first couple of hours so I ran about 12 miles to a new spot and wound up going 7 for 8 in a couple of hours. Fish were all right around 22 - 23 inches and were released.

Made it out again last night with local friends Mike B and Mike B for some more of the action. The bite started really good for us taking 2 doubles and landing 3 fish the first couple of passes. We then had a lull in the action and only got a few more hits in the next couple hours. Around midnight things picked up again and I think we landed 7 more fish the last hour and a half. We wound up going 12 for 15 on the night. The fish were running a little bigger last night averaging around 26 inches with our biggest probably around 28.

The fish have been coming on a variety of Bombers, Smithwicks, and #18 Rapalas. The Bombers have probably been the most productive and it seems like red has been the best color.

Good Luck-

Capt. Jim McDonald
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg247/CR_Finaddict/mike5-23-1.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg247/CR_Finaddict/5-23.jpg

Double Tap
05-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Trolled from 8:30-1:00am. Walleyes 3 for 5, one ea. 29"/24", 22". All were on black & red Smithwicks in 8-12 FOW. The fish are there but the bite does not appear to be consistent. One other boat had 4 fish in the box and another had nothing. I guess that's Spring walleye fishing in the bay!

finaddict
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
The bite tapered off for me as well. Only caught 6 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Really thought Sunday was gonna be awesome with calm conditions and water temp up to 54 degrees. I even had that "vibe" I get right before I usually kill 'em.....man, was I wrong! Lots and lots of missed fish both nights that would pull the board back for a few seconds but be gone before you could grab the rod. Quite a bit of floating debris to work with both nights making it necessary to pull in the lines every half hour to check them. Taking a break for the week to finish out the school year and then I'm going to get serious!!!!!

Capt. Jim McDonald