PDA

View Full Version : Topwater anyone??

Red Childress
05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Anybody been chucking top water baits yet?? Any success??

The river is still a little to cool for my liking just yet....I am looking forward to testing out my new Havana's once June arrives.

Rich W
05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
We had a couple fish up on topwater baits Sunday.
Rich W

toothyfishman
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Sunday??? Wow.. tough day for fish.

Just goes to show you........River fish????

Rich W
05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
How'd you know that?
Rich W

allegheny river kid
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Just started chucking them...no action yet... the past few years anythg over 58deg and they were moving on topwaters.

toothyfishman
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
With the pounding at Pymie we all got....the lake fish weren't moving.

AND......you always read that river fish are the least effected by cold fronts.

It was a guess....I'd say educated guess but with these fish, all bets are off for any type of educated anything sometimes!!!

ttabaleulb
05-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I've thrown Jackpots a bit each time I've been out so far. As I mentioned in another post, so far only the Pike seemed to have any interest. However, those new surface baits I have for the Flyrod have added another dimension to my topwater arsenal. If I'm REALLY lucky, I can achieve 2 of my '09 goals in one shot by landing a Musky on the topwater bait with the FLyrod. Now that will be awesome!!!

jah1317
05-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I have een throwing poe's and topraiders with no response, however I have been seeing them slam things on the surface and when I was fishing the other night at Tamerack I heard several on the surface and trust me they were not bass! Has anyone ever tried working a jointed 8" believer across the surface REAL slow attached at the top eye? They look like they would get eaten and they have an amazing clack clack clack to them as they move along. I was playing around with mine last year and now I am thinking it may be the ticket in certain situations. Any thoughts?

Jacob

Red Childress
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I have done this using a jointed Fat Body and hit fish as late as early-December. It is also a very deadly approach for nite fishing too.

Click, clack, click, clack........

Red Childress
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Played around with the Havana on Saturday and the action is awesome. Very easy to work and a very audible "plop, plop" during each direction change.