PDA

View Full Version : Sunday on the chain

Russv
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Fished the chain on sunday. I have attended the Weeds and Walleye school in 2007. Using the same techniques, we tried out several of the lakes. We found the walleyes to be scarce but never did find a good solid weed bed. In many areas the weed were just emerging and were rather sparse. We did catch several perch. The high spot was 2 muskies just over 32 inches on jigs and 6 lb line. Also had several nice northern. Hope to try again this week.

Ranger Rick
05-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Russ,

The weeds on the Eagle Chain are in excellent condition. I don't know where you were looking but either you don't have your sensitivity adusted right or something else is wrong. Besides being in great condition, the weed beds are numerous. Remember what I taught you at Weeds N Walleye in 2007. zigzag the shallows to deep water and you will come across many weedbeds. The coontail is awesome in spots, with cabbage beginning to appear in good amounts in places. Actually, there are many spots where the weeds are only 1to 2 feet below the surface in 6 feet of water. The key is to zigzag and look for the piles of weeds closest to deep water. The "sentry' clumps will hold the biggest fish unless the wind is blowing in the spot well.

Good luck this weekend, the walleyes are in there, but sometime are not biting great depending on the weather. If you are having a tough time 'grubing' them out with a light jig, try a slip bobber. It might be your ticket for success.

Ranger Rick