PDA

View Full Version : Opening day reports

The Bait Shop Guy
05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
From the north end of the bay, we heard mixed reports. You either did really good, or had little to no luck at all. Sounded like it was dead up on Center Reef, but some guys trolling cranks along the East bank did well.

Escanaba River was much slower than normal for most people. I had a fantastic opener there this evening - but I was fishing for bass (the early catch and release bass season started today, too.) Landed 17 smallies and one undersized pike. Biggest one I caught was 19 inches (of course, the two biggest ones I had hooked both got off.) All of them hit a Mann's Baby 1- crankbait.

Sounded like the bite off of Ford River was good this morning. Things should have been really cranking down there this evening with the strong Southeast wind. My dad fished there tonight and he said it was slow. He only landed one walleye on a small shallow running Challenger crankbait in the solid orange color. Everyone he talked to had only 1 or 2 fish, and they were all baffled by the slow fishing under what would be considered ideal conditions for that spot.

Only got one report from Cedar River. Boondocker, who posts on here from time to time, caught 2 nice fish and lost 3 more fishing what he called "bankers hours" (8 to 1.) He was pulling shallow running cranks in 8 to 10 FOW. Biggest one was about 28 inches.

Here's a couple pics of Boondockers walleyes and my bass from tonight.