PDA

View Full Version : Musky Question

tonycar17
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, first time on here and I have a question and would apppreciate any help or thoughts.

My family has a place right around the Springstead Landing. I have not been up there the last few years nearly as much as I would have liked to have been, but am going up the last wekend in May for an early season Musky Trip. Just started fishing muskys a couple years ago and never fished them early season.

Any thoughts on areas / colors / baits that I should be using? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TC

ezerider1
05-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Have had real good luck using spinner baits
this time of year, willow blade, color chartruase,
and blue or red, with a medium to slow retrieve,
in and around the weed beds, early morning or
just before dark.

John

esox1
05-16-2009, 08:24 AM
John has given you good info---Spinnerbaits or small minnow twitch baits work great early in the season--Fish them around shallow structure such as the new weed growth and logs and you should see action---even on warm sunny days the shallow water will produce well early in the year.

tonycar17
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Awesome Guys, thanks for the feedback......I was thinking along those same lines, but it is always good to talk to those who have "been there, done that".

TC

sjguzin
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I've only logged a total of 8hrs Muskie fishing in my life, so this is interesting info for me. The only lure I own is a yellow Hawg Wobbler and have caught 3 fish on it and missed a few others... So 1st weekend in June is too early to use a bait like that? Cause the only times I've ever used it is in mid to late summer. THanks.

The Tiny Fisherman
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I've had my best luck on glide and jerk baits. Start out small in the early season and work your way up in sizes as the season progresses. Try small suicks, reef hawgs, cobbs, there are too many to name them all. As for color, that all depends on the type of day. Dark days I go natural patterns and on bright days I go nuts, white, orange, bright greens, yellow, etc....

Try small bucktails and follow the same rules as above.

Good luck this week and catch the big one,