PDA

View Full Version : Walleye fisherman turning to Muskies...

KCH
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I am wanting to get into muskie fishing being a long time walleye guy I can suppose what might be good, but was lookin for some input. I am looking for advice on a not too extravagant, but sufficient rod, reel, line and leader setup as well as a hand full of baits to start my purchases off with....Any info would be great....thx

Springboro ESOX
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Get yourself a good rod 7'6"-8"(St.Croix) HEAVY action, good sized baitcaster(Calcuta), and 50#-80# braid, reel should hold 200 yards+. As for baits 2 in-line spinners 8"-10"(green,red&orange single or double bladed ghostails), 2 crankbaits (6''-10'') Buchers or Cranes and some topwaters (Ty's Pacemaker & Stillwater are pretty badass) As for leaders 8''-12'' BLACK!!! 60#-80#. And CAST till your arms feel like you just carried a 300+ lb. women home from the bar, then have a beer and repeat!

Snizz
05-15-2009, 08:22 AM
http://www.solarnavigator.net/images/whaling_harpoon_canon_and_harponer.jpg

MANNED!

dfkiii
05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Snizz, I think you need a bigger gun !

Ty Sennett
05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Sorry I had to delete a couple of those. They weren't too bad but the kids might not care too much for it. Remember that you can't cuss on here either because there are a lot of kids that read this.

As for what to get for starting out, I would second what SpringboroESOX said with a slight change to the rod. Get a medium heavy rod. That will be a lot more forgiving for bucktails and topwater. StCroix rods are excellent. Get the premier series of StCroix. They are priced well for what you get. For lures, the Ghosttail brand is good along with Shumway's flasher. Also make sure to pick up one Cowgirl in black with orange blades. That is the most universal color for every lake. Be prepared to have a tough time reeling it in though. For topwater, the topraider and Hawgwabblers are good with maybe a Pacemaker thrown in for good measure. For crankbaits, Big Game and Slammers are about the only ones I use. a Bulldawg would also be a good choice for fall fishing especially. You are going to be spending quite a bit starting out but don't buy a ton of lures right out of the chute. you will get a feel for what baits you like and don't like right away. Then you can go back and buy more of the ones you like later.

KCH
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks (to some of you) for the great information... It will lead me in a great direction!! Thanks again