PDA

View Full Version : planning a 6 day trip with father to allegheny res. for state record muskie

fish N ski
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
my father and I are planning a trip to the res. week of 6-3-09 for 5 days. Any info that we can have will be greatly accepted. Have my 14" jakes, legend plows and hookers ready to catch a Pennsylvania state record muskie. Will try my best this year up there since the camp is a good place to stay and only working 2 days a week till november. (Lay off) Gotta catch a monster lunge to make my brother-in-law proud ( God rest his soul ). Rainbow trout and horsehead patterns should do the trick. Any other suggestions. Please, help me out...

Red Childress
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
My guesstimation is to hit all Bay mouths, secondary breaks with steep banks, points, humps, etc.......Willow, Chappel, Sugar are good places to spend some time. Find the bait and the fish will be close......

I would do lots of "scout trolling" the first day or two watching your graph and plotting WPT's when something looks good. Then stay on your WPT's and cross your fingers. Night trolling could be the best decision you could ever make up there. Pikie and bumble bee patterns might be a good choice as well.

I admire your determination. Good luck up there. A state record is not out of the question. :)

cband
05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Try the night gig a few days. Dress warm, there are some long cold nights this time of year on kinzua. Good luck.

Red Childress
05-15-2009, 08:10 AM
I would also bump up the trolling speed to no less than 5mph and as high as 8mph for that time of year and on that clear, deep water......lots of water to cover and getting reaction strikes could save your trip.

fish N ski
05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
thanks for the info. will have to try night trolling.

fish N ski
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Night trolled 1 time. trolled very slow as if walleye fishing. What speed should I troll at night? Any specific lures? topwater, lures with rattles? Depths? Thanks Matt--

Red Childress
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
If you are hunting a state record, go BIG...10-14" stuff or even larger...some straight, some jointed. If the water is clear, 3-5mph should be fine in June. It will be much better to run too shallow than too deep especially at night.