PDA

View Full Version : Suckers ?

BassMan67
04-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I know I can't spear them untill may 1st but does anyone know where a guy can legally net a few suckers in the area?
Thanks

CaptainKenLee
04-25-2009, 05:22 PM
We have seen lots of suckers running on the Rapid River (at night) and you can net up to the highway bridge. Might be a little tougher to see them now with the higher water though. Could have had all we wanted in the past week or so....good luck!

BassMan67
04-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks Ken. Is it permissable to walk along on either side of the the river there? Privite property perhaps?

CaptainKenLee
04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Township owns the west side of the river (public property), all the way to the train bridge. Suckers are a very under-exploited resource. They are good smoked, but I like to pickle them too. Some guys get them to use the belly strips for lake trout in the summer. My brother gets some for cutbait for catfish. They make good fish patties too. If you don't get any netting, you can get them at the Dutch Mill using yarn flies. Good luck...

BassMan67
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks again Ken. They are in the smoker !

pikeman
04-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know if there are any suckers coming up the ford river or any river close to Esky? Looking for some red horses.