PDA

View Full Version : Trout Streams?

big pike
04-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Trout Season starts on Saturday. Anyone know where to fish for the big ones. I'd like to take my nephew out. He's never been trout fishing and I'd like to take him. He's only eleven and excited as hell!! Any information on lucky spots would be appreciated. He's throwing most of them back anyway. Thanks in advance!!

bottle_bass
04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I trout fish every year opening day(Brookies). The best luck I have this time of year is on the lakes. I dont know if its the rivers to high or what but just never had any luck on them in rivers this early. If you want your nephew to catch big ones check the planting records. The DNR plants quiet a few pigs in some of the local inland lakes.

CrankYanker
04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I would say your best bet would be the escanaba river below boney falls.. The tricky thing will be water levels (current) with a younger fisherman along. Pick him up some lightwieght waders to use. The access site in cornell (CR 426 I think is usually a good place to start and walk upstream from there sticking to the sides. I haven't been there yet this year so I'm not sure of the water levels but being a hydro river its usually not as extreme as natural flow. Remeber to check your inland trout guide as regulations are tight in this spot. One fish I think, and no live bait. Try some gold panther martins.
Good luck

raywriter
04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I live on the Escanaba River in the area you are talking about. The flow is strong now, and levels are fairly high (not flooding). We had a big insect hatch right around the time of ice out a couple weeks ago. The screens on our screen porch had lots of (caddis flies?) on them. Long, thin segmented bodies with tails that curled up like miniature scorpions. Most of this stretch of the river is heavily populated with smallmouth bass, but fewer trout. I think they winter over in the deeper parts of the river above the dams, then work their way back upstream in the spring. Fishing will probably be great, but catching will probably be very slow.