PDA

View Full Version : help with hook setting

noobfisherman
04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Me and the misses the other day were out fishing the river... Medium sized minnows, spinning reel and ml rod. I caught a bite and it was a big fish... The problem I have is I cannot seem to get the hook set.. and its my first time this year using the spinning reel, instead of the spincast reels.

Any suggestions would be most helpfull thanks
the Noobfisherman.

joey
04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
you're way less of a noobfisherman since i dont know what you mean by ml rod or spincast reels, lol.

Aqua man1
04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
sometimes that will happen big fish normally will find a way to get off!!!!
The biggest peice of advise that I have about hook setting is always make sure your hooks and sharp and you tied a good knot. Second thing and the most important would be WATCH YOUR SLACK!! always keep your line tight but not too tight. Just tight enough that you can "feel" whats hitting the end.

Rex
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with removing as much slack in the line as possible so when you do set the hook it will hit the fish more directly. It also pays to spend a little more on good hooks that will have and keep a sharp point. GamaKatsu makes a good hook, and I also like the tru-turn hooks as well.

Good luck on getting that big one.

Rex

aitlbhawg
04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I personally like GamaKatsu hooks (5.0) and a good braid line Spiderwire 50#, which has zero flex. let us know how it turns out -EM

channelcat
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
i agree spider wire is the best line to use and a trick i use when still fishing is as the fish takes the bait instead of opening the bail to let line out i let him run with it for a extra couple seconds by simple moving the rod tip toward the fish then when the tension is almost full whip the rod tip back in the opposite direction you will get a solid hook set and it will still be relatively shallow in the fishes mouth so you can remove the fish easily compared to if you open the bail and let him swallow it for a couple minutes which works to but you will kill a lot of fishing needlessly that way