PDA

View Full Version : Depth Control

Corndog
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
:confused:Can anyone give me advice on how to use inline weights while trolling? Rules of thumb are fine, I just need a place to start. I want to run planner boards with crawler harnesses in deeper water but I don't know what weight to run with how much line out vs the depth the harness will be at... etc.

CaptainKenLee
04-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Here's a pretty good rule of thumb. With a 1 oz. in-line going 1 mph, let out twice the amount of line for the depth you want to fish. If you want to be 10 feet down, let out 20 feet. 15 feet down, let out 30 feet, etc. This is just for a 1 oz. and going 1 mph, you have to adjust accordingly if you use heavier weights or troll at a faster speed. Good luck!

On a side note...my brother Kevin and I went shining last night, saw a good amount of walleyes starting to run the rivers. Didn't think we'd see as many as we did with the cold water and cold nights we've been having, Kevin is going to try and get some video of some fish today or tonight. Pretty neat seeing hundreds of monster walleyes right at your feet!!!

Corndog
04-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info that is exactly what I am looking for.