PDA

View Full Version : 25HP Merc tiller question

huntnfish
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
well boys and girls, I hit a rock on the wisc river last week and I'm in need of repairs. Lower unit is fine, skeg / prop on the other hand is not. I know I can get a new prop, I'm looking to see if it's worth getting the skeg replace/repaired. I only lost about 1" on the tip of the skeg. motor pulles really hard now at full throttle. I'm wondering if the tube assembly got bent or something else is wrong. Not sure. Anyone have any ideas as to why it pulls so hard. You need to have 2 hands on the tiller arm it pulls that hard. Seems to pull to the right. When the motor is down all the way, it looks like it leans out to the right as you look straight at the back of the boat. This tells me that where the motor attatches to the mounting bracket is bent, at least that's what I'm thinking. Any pointers out there anyone, or know anyone that works on these things? Thanks to any and all repleys

Randy W
04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
For a minimal cost, I would have it inspected. You may have done more damage to it than you know, or it might not be that bad. I have built a relationship with Duchow's Boat center in Pewaukee, WI and trust them with my rig. Rick has been very fair with me. Here is their web site http://www.duchowsboatcenter.com/

Rex
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM
My 90 hsp mercury has a bent skeg and it pulls very hard to the right as well. I don't think it takes much. It is bent about an inch, and the faster I go,the harder it pulls. It has been this way for a few years and I've gotten used to it. I thought about getting it fixed but there is not an immediate need to do so with other bigger problems to deal with.

I would think about taking it in (usually $75 to get the boat in the door), but if nothing is leaking and there are no bad sounds coming from the motor, ...

Rex

Muskie Nut
04-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Rex you may want to try tweaking the torque tab located right about the prop. Try it one way and if it pulls harder go the other way. Maybe there is enough adjustment to take off the steering torque? Worth a try and it does not cost you anything.

Randy W
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Having excessive steering torque will prematurely wear out your telex cable or steering control box if you have a console. Tiller...you'll get a little muscle tone.

huntnfish
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for some input guys. I can assure you my left arm has been getting a workout! Long runs suck, but hey no pain no gain lol.

I don't think the skeg is my problem. I think the swivel assembly is bent where the pwr head and the mounting braket meet. The motor looks tilted to one side when the motor is down. To me, it should be straight.

Anyone know how hard it is to get that bracket off to take a look at it?