PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Canada - legal trouble

ryanmitchell
04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Gents

I tried to get into Canada a few years ago on a planned fishing trip to Totem Lodges with my dad and brothers. We were stopped at the border, IDs checked and then I was told I could not enter. I had to rent a car and drive home. I insisted that my brothers and Dad go on. They had a great time.

I am 32 years old now and was arrested and convicted with a felony theft under $300 charge when I was 18. I also got a DUI that same year. It was 15 years ago! I want go fishing in Canada this year and for years to come.

What steps do I need to take in order to gain admittance into Canada so I can go fishing?

Please help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Ryan

familyguy
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Ryan,
Go to canadawelcomesyou.net, there are links there you can go to for more information on how to get into the country. I don't know for sure but believe its just a matter of filling out forms and gaining permission to enter.
Good luck.

Ty Sennett
04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
There is also going to be an entry fee. One of my buddies had the same thing. He wasn't even convicted of anything. He was in a bar fight and the charges ended up being dropped but it was on his record. Didn't make sense to me.

dawgfn78
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Spend your money on the Flowage instead, lol. That's what I did. I had booked a trip to northern Ontario when I found out that a DUI could prevent entry, I decided give the great state of Wisconsin my money instead of holding my breath. I found this site while researching and it was very helpful: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html

I just couldn't wait the estimated 6 months for it to clear. Now given the length of time it has been since you had your brush with Johnny Law, you should be fine applying for Canadian "rehabilitation". There are rumors out there though, that attempting entry and being denied might come back to bite you in the butt. Sounds a bit too conspiracy laden for me, but you never know.

I'm suprised they didn't give you the option of going to the immigration office at the border. There is a form there as well that costs around $300 to gain admittance. I've known two people that were stopped and had to pay it at the Niagra Falls entrance, they both said the same.. They didn't know what was worse, the $300 or the 3hr. wait in an immigration office line. I can imagine it makes the DMV look like a well-oiled machine.

Anyway, best of luck. I'm done with Canada. I grew up going up north to fish every summer, but I can live without it. There are plenty of quality fishing adventures in the states.

Hell, between the musky in Lake Chautauqua, the walleye in the Allegheny River, the smallmouth in Lake Erie and the steelhead in it's tribs, I don't have the time or care in me to deal with the exchange rate and biting flies.

I really can't complain too much, without Canada denying us "felons" I never would have found out about the Flowage. I had as much fun there fishing as I've had on my dozen or so Canadian adventures.