PDA

View Full Version : 1930's Flowage Video

eagleeye
04-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Whats up guys? Found a 1930's silent video of the Flowage. Look at all those tree's and stumps. There is a clip of the dam about 10 minutes into the video. Here is the link:

http://media2.wi.gov/DNR/Viewer/Viewers/ViewerVideoOnly.aspx?mode=Default&peid=bf684782-fe83-4f1d-a1a5-b5099bc9c9a9&pid=9fd05279-a2a9-495f-ab99-d097300a19f1&playerType=WM7#

Enjoy!

MuskieRandy
04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow! An anti-flowage propaganda film from 1930!! Interesting how they talk about a 33 foot rise above the low water mark! The only way that would be possible is if the flowage channel has been silting up. It seems to me the rise is about 20 feet. At full pool the channel is about 23 feet deep, right?

Yeah, whoever made that video was mighty p@#$%d at the creation of the flowage.

I wonder about the drawdowns in the old days though. I heard somewhere that they used to really draw it down far. Is that true?

George
04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for putting up this link. It's surprising that the thrust of this movie was to reveal the "destruction" caused to the natural beauty of the Turtle and Flambeau Rivers and several beautiful natural lakes by the construction of the dam and resulting "Flambeau Turtle Flowage". It's interesting that there were folks who felt the creation of what we love so much today was, in their estimation, destruction of the most beautiful place in Wisconsin. Funny, that's what so many on this board, including myself, call the TFF now. I guess 80 years can change the perspective on things. Regardless of the "spin", thanks for posting this video. It is really great to see the flowage as my grandfather did.

McGR
04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Cool old clip...

I thought for sure by the end of the film the creation of the 'Flambeau-Turtle" Flowage would be attributed to the rise of international facism.

LundAngler
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Very cool to see the Flowage in its infancy. When the old timers say there were a lot of dead trees and stumps they were not kidding. Man, talk about walleye structure! I guess this just goes to show that our opinions today might be different than they are tomorrow. I would be willing to bet that if the person that shot that video could see the flowage as it is today, their opinions might be different.

DonH
04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Great stuff. I thought it was a jungle in 1960. Can you imagine trying to pull a good sized fish out of that mess?

All I know is I'm buying another prop tonight.

ff oldtimer
04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
great stuff i remember back in the 50's and 60's alot of sections still look like that exp southeast end of horseshoe past the rock island.wow i remember fishing back in that stuff with my dad and uncles throwin river runts and catchin tons of northerns and walleyes.but loosing lures about every 4th cast and breaking pins on the motor every time we went in there, but it was worth it.wow brings back memories.

Chico
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I have an old 1928 news artical about the Flowage that I will scan and post...But this is really cool.

Thanks for posting...

Chico

fishboytwo
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Great Video!