PDA

View Full Version : Haven't fished in 15 years or more. Need lots of help!

joey
04-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Like the title says, I went fishing when I was a boy. I casted and reeled.
Thats all i remember.
I have a rod and reel, with hooks, bobbers, weights, and worms. I live on the north side and went down to the bridge by JJs. Ive came up empty handed every time. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. How high up do i put the bobber? Weights? Should I cast and let it sit or move it around? Should I be using a worm or what should i use? Anything you can tell me will help. I need to know the most trivial of things, as I worry that I'm doing something wrong...
Initially Im just looking to fish and simply catch a fish--dont care what kind/size. Eventually I'd like to catch some panfish and maybe something bigger, but for now, it doesnt matter.
thank you in advanced for your help!

aitlbhawg
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Last spring, there were A LOT of people catching crappies off/around the bridge by the Nau-Ti-Gal. They were using minnows and hooks. From what I remember, they weren't using bobbers. Unfortunately, myself and a friend were in a boat with spikes/worm (no minnows) and all we could do was drink our beer and watch people catch the crappies. One little girl told her dad, "It's as easy as pie!". If I were you, I'd stop by D&S bait, get some small minnows, and head over to the bridge between the Nau-ti-gal and the train track bridge off 113 and drop some minnows in. Let the current carry the bait. But, I'd personally wait until it gets a little bit warmer. Good luck. -EM

Ziggy
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Joey, The crappies and gills are just starting to move in to the shallows. This snow and cold will probably slow them down for a couple days. I live on the North side also. Private message me and maybe we can get together in the next week or so and I can show you what works for me. I had a 22 in bass hit a crappie minnow on a slip rig this weekend on my ultra light. What a blast. We caught more damn bass by accident than we did crappies on purpose. Wish it worked like that when they were in season. Ziggy

Manitou
04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Joey,

The first thing you should do is read as much as you can about open water pan fishing (blue gills and crappies) in the online magazines. The following 2 links contain more information than you can read and absorb in a couple of days.

http://www.fishingthemidwest.com/
http://www.wisconsinsportsmanmag.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/

When reading, pay special attention to light spinning tackle with light line and small hooks, jigs, baits, and bobbers. Pay special attention to slip bobbers.

Next, got to D & S or Dorn on Midvale and ask for advice on buying a medium light spinning rod and reel. I would pair a low cost trigger cast Shimano reel with spare spool to a 5'10" or 6' light action Berkley Lightning spinning rod.

Have them fill the spools with 4 lb and 8 lb Berkley Trilene XL line. You will use the 4 lb for all panfish and you can use 8 lb for bass or northern.

Ask them to pick out a low cost assortment of small light hooks, hair or tube jigs, split shot, swivel snaps, leaders, stationary and slip bobbers, and maybe a few basic lures such as #3 Mepps, #7 Shad Rapp, #5 Huskey Jerk, plastic worms, etc.

Since you will most probably be fishing from shore, find out where you can fish and what spots are best for spring, summer, and fall. You should be able to get a pamphlet on Madison shore fishing from the DNR or the bait shops.

Tie the small hook directly to the 4 lb line with a split shot one foot above, and the small bobber above that. Use one leaf worm, a wax worm or a small minnow hooked through the lips for bait.

A good place to start is Monona Bay or the Law Park / Convention Center shoreline. Watch what other people are doing. you will catch fish.