PDA

View Full Version : 4-1-09 RFRG Outdoors Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Not a lot of new happenings to report this week. The usual patterns for late ice panfish hold solid this time of year. It is important to watch your ice conditions as it can deteriorate quickly. At this moment we actually have a small snowstorm occuring, we've picked up 3-6 inches of very heavy wet snow which will cover the ice and impair your ability to "read" the ice. Again, be cautious when venturing out this late season.

I've spoken with the game wardens from both the eastern Vilas and the Florence County areas and like me, they've seen a few trucks and ATV's out on the ice, but we DO NOT suggest using heavy transport anymore. The stakes are just too high during this time in our late ice season...

I'm beginning to wrap up my ice gear and get ready for our open water season. One big pointer... store your tip-ups laying flat to keep both seals in the spindle tube in contact with the lubricant inside those tubes.

Also of note is... get your new fishing licenses, as of midnight March 31st you must be carrying your 09-10 fishing license to be legal.

Another big spring event for us sportsmen/women is the annual DNR spring hearings, held statewide April 13th, I believe. This is your chance to have your voice/opinion heard and counted on many issues. Check the Wisconsin DNR website for meeting times and places near your location.

Between storing winter gear and getting open water gear ready, this is really a very busy time for us fishermen. Open water in the Eagle River area isn't that far away... no matter what Mother Nature throws our way. I'll be ready, will you?

Mark Benson
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Heard second hand of a friend who went ice fishing for crappies on a fairly large lake north of here 20 miles or so and he fell through twice!!! I heard his lab went through once. Again a bigger deep lake, so BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

I don't want to scare anyone with that statement, but the last time I was on the ice was with an atv last Friday and I thought the ice was reasonable in depth. Once I get a chance to hear the full story, I will try to update, but if you haven't, start carrying the safety equipment again and/or going with a friend. Here's the update: Wasn't nearly as bad as I heard only the dog slipped through a crack, but none-the-less start thinking safety first out there!!!

I have been in the boat again twice now down on the Miss River. Was thinking about going down again, but they are calling for snow, so maybe I will try to get to Mohawksin again.

I also had friend text me two days ago about a friend walleye fishing on the WI R. and after 35 minute battle released a 47" 30-35# musky. First and largest I have heard of this spring.

Be safe out there and good luck!!!

Mark

Pete Stoltman
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Starting to see remote spots of open water here and there but still plenty of fishable ice. Looked like a party was going on at Minocqua and Little Arb when I was heading home this evening.

Nice fish Mark. I was talking with Elmer Heyob today who is the head muskies fisheries dude for the Ohio DNR or whatever they call it. He nailed a 48" x 26" piggie that weighed in at 36 lbs. last week. Interesting guy to talk to. They have a MUCH different fishery in Ohio than we have here. Fish grow fast and die young. Shad based forage lakes tend to make them pretty stocky.