PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

Eagle 1
03-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Hi guys, I need to start using leaders again, so what kind should I go buy?? I don't have time to make them. Longer or shorter?? Tie a swival first or the leader only?? Thanks for the help!! Brad

Pete Stoltman
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Well, there are a number of acceptable choices. The last few years I've been using fluorocarbon mostly. 100 lb. test and with ball bearing swivels. Several good brands of those available. I make my own but have also used Smity and Stealth with good results. Usually 12 to 14 inches. Nothing longer than that or you lose some control in the figure 8.

If you go with a stranded or solid wire I generaly recommend the Rollie & Helen's house brand leaders. They're well made and don't cost a fortune. You can also check out the leader making video on Matt's site. It doesn't take much effort to whip up a batch of stranded wire leaders with just a handful of swivels, snaps, and some wire. For strand leaders I typically use the 90lb. stuff that's available from American Fishing Wire or Sevenstrand. Most dedicated musky shops carry that stuff.

I rarely use solid wire anymore. Again the R&H house leaders are good and several others out there will do the job. Just hate toasting a leader on some 18" pike that bends it into a pretzel but on the other hand, some glider style lures seem to work better with that solid wire acting as a fulcrum.