PDA

View Full Version : Fox Chain 3-21-09

pgutmann
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, blessed the Fox Chain for the 2009 season this past Saturday with my good friend Russ S. Boat ran great; Fishing was great too.
Here is the post Russ placed on the Fox River Valley MI site:

"Phil and I hit the water this morning at 7:30, to do some of our annual spring crappie fishing. Armed with "Phil Rigs" and 6 Dozen large fat heads we hit some of our favorite North End back channels, the 1st 2 spots yielded no crappies not even a bump. We headed south and hit a favorite spot on Bluff, within 2 hours we had put a dozen in the boat and lost at least that many more. The bite was very light, once the bobber started to go down you had to give a 5 or 10 count before setting the hook or you would come up empty. water temps were 46 to 47 in this area.

About Noon we met up with DVD and stopped for lunch at Stietzes, DVD ordered the Pork tenderloin sandwhich, we had a good laugh because when it came out it was the size of a dinner plate, The waitress sat it down in front of DVD and his eyes were as big a saucers, I think he only finished half.

After lunch we all headed south to Fox Lake to hit a few spots, Fishing started out slow and then we found a pier section right on the corner where the wind was sweeping around from the back channel into the main channel, NO Light bites here they were slamming the fatheads, at one point Phil must have pulled a dozen from the same pier pole in about 10 or 15 minutes, action continued to be pretty good on this pier section for another half hour or so, we moved and asked DVD to fish it from the other side and I believe he caught 2 or 3. Water in this area was also 45 to 47 deg.

All in counting the fish we let go, we had around 42 to 44 Crappies most in the 9 to 11 inch range with a couple 12s and Phil got a 13.5 which was big fish for the day. We called it a day at 4:30 and headed back to the Turtle

Main Lake was 41 to 42 Deg, Water is high and clarity is normal for this time of year. The chain was pretty deserted, a few boats fishing Walleyes and a couple boats fishing Skis, Really saw no one else fishing Crappies, we had all of the areas to ourselves".

Tight Lines, Russ

teenfisher
03-23-2009, 06:32 PM
on bluff were you fishing the inlet or the boat harbor?

pgutmann
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Was fishing any shallow water piers. Better action on the wooden or those that had a boat lift in the water. Channels were the warmest from Bluff to Spring as well. Hope this helps!