View Full Version : Bait repair/adjustment

ttabaleulb
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok, I just came up from the garage after going through the baits to make sure all the hooks were sharp and everything was ready to go. Well, a couple of new baits (Suicks in particular) had the eye completely painted/clear coated over. We're talking thick. I had planned to put some split rings on them since I have a tough time getting them on the swivel.

I dug at that crap for 5 minutes/bait to clear the eye enough to get the split ring on. Is there some trick to getting those open? I was afraid of knocking the bait out of "tune" by getting too rough with it. I am still concerned because the split ring does not appear to move freely.

I've had this issue with flies in the past, but running a hook tip through the eye always did the trick. However, this was some pretty thick stuff. What do you guys recommend in that situation??

allegheny river kid
03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I've never had the same problem with knocking the paint out of the suicks, i always just used an old hook and out it came or an old snap off a steel leader. But one thing that might help you is heating up an old hook or a big needle in a flame and melting it it off, it will probably get messy and smokey but imagine it would make it easier to get the paint out.. As far as split rings i used #5 joe bucher and they move pretty good in there. You could knock the bait out of tune but i really doubt you would notice it much on a suick....my 2 cents

Jim_Bortz
03-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about knocking a Suick out of tune. The more chunks that get taken out of them, the better they seem to work. Most of the tuning is done by bending and twisting the tail. If you're lucky, you can get it to dart a bit from side to side and wobble on the rise. As far as the paint over the eye, just drill it out with a small bit. The heat from the friction will often loosen the clear coat on the rest of the eye and it will chip/peel right off.

jah1317
03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
your not going to mess it up on that end, it's a screw you can just turn it back and I really doubt that it will bend. On the other end, "dog ear" the corners of the tail with a pair of needle nose DO NOT make them even one can tur down more or less and one can have a bigger "ear". Remember, small adjustments of a tail on a suick make big differences in how they run. Half of the fun of owning one is getting it tuned! you want a "death wobble" at the end and dog earring them helps them go to one side or the other and roll some so when they stop they right themselves. Can you tell I love suicks! Also, let them sit for a bit after you cast..... build up some drama.

Good luck man!

Jacob

ttabaleulb
03-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I swear that the Suick "makers" made no attempt at keeping the eyes clean on this batch!! LOL I've bought quite a few lures/flies during my 30+ yrs of fishing and have never had to spend that much time on just getting the eye open. But, all I need is one Musky to attack one and all is forgotten!! :)